DIFF WIDTHS

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

fat62ek
State: NOT ENTERED

DIFF WIDTHS

Post by fat62ek »

hi guys just did some measuring of my new diff i got for my fb wagon . its out of a vc commodore wagon and i found that it measures 1415mm between the housing flanges and 1530mm drum outer to drum outer. i have done a search and it says somewhere that a fb diff is 1420mm flange to flange so commodore diff would be perfect. but have been told otherwise. can someone confirm the measurments of a standard diff as i dont have one to measure. ie housing flange to housing flange (the flange that the backing plates bolt up to)and drum outer to drum outer(the face that the wheels bolt up to) .thanks wayne
own the car paying off the fuel
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

well if your going down the vc commodore diff path then this should be a salisbury .... in that case go to a wreckers and get a salisbury out of a uc torana ... they are the same length as the hr diff housing .... all is needed is to cut the mounts off the hr diff and transfer them over to the uc diff (and cut excess mounts off) you wil then retain the same stud pattern and everything should be sweet ....

bear in mind though these diffs are bugger all strength difference to a banjo, TRUST ME :roll:
Regards,

Sammy.

http://www.oldholdens.com
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

The UC Torana Salisbury also uses the same crown wheel and pinion as a banjo diff as I've swapped a 2.78 banjo gear set into a UC diff about 10 years ago in my V8 UC Torana.

Terry.
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
EK JAY
State: NSW

Post by EK JAY »

i have a VC commodre diff in my ek sedan if i remember
correctly we just rewelded the saddle's to the corerect place
on the diff .i can measure the distance between them if that helps
you in any way
EK JAY SINCE 1990
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

Wayne,

Just extracted an FB diff housing from the deep, dark bowels of the spare parts area of the shed( bare housing, no backing plates ) and measured the diff width from flange to flange ( backing plate to diff bolt up face ).

It's 52 and 3/16th inch flange to flange (1326 mm ).That's not including the two bearing retaining plates which are approx 1/8 th inch ( 3 mm )each as well.

Hope that helps,

Terry.
I can't think what to write here so this will do.