Fitting of interior door handles and winders

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Shaggy
State: NOT ENTERED

Fitting of interior door handles and winders

Post by Shaggy »

Hi Guys,
Just curious if there is suppose to be a big spring and if so where does it go with the interior door handles and window winder? I have the handle, retaining clip and metal washer.

Shaggy
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Fitting of interior door handles and winders

Post by Blacky »

The springs go between the door and the door trim
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Shaggy
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Shaggy »

Cheers Blacky I really appreciate it.
rosco
State: VIC

Post by rosco »

As Blacky has posted - the spring sits in the recess of the handle/winder body - and pushes outwards through a hole in the trim. On the interior side (inside the car) there is a formed metal plate which has a recess in it.
The spring runs on the door side of this plate.
There are two different springs... the small cone shaped one is for the door handle... the larger parallel one is for the winder.
Make sure that metal plate is true - and has no dents in it.... especially the winder one.
Most of them have been butchered because people simply don't know how to remove them... and poke all sorts of things in to get the handles off.... screwdrivers being the worst of them all......

The plate should fit over the lining of the door trim on the cabin side - the face is a bearing surface for the handles to work on.

You might like to run just a smear of grease over the outside of that plate... especially the winder one.... it will make winding the window up and down a bit easier - plus it won't wear out the plate.... I used GUD dri-lube on mine... but in hot weather, it melts just like grease does..... just a smear - don't dollop it up.......

When you have it all ready to go, you press the handle on with a firm "bang" - the clip sits in the two slots of the door handle/winder and with everything lined up and under the pressure of the spring - will "snap" it into place..... the clip will then fall into the groove around the shaft of the door winder/handle....

You need to make up a special tool to get handles off...... it is inserted from the handle side back towards the round side - and will push this clip out of the groove and lodge it open on the blank flat section of the handle.... allowing the handle to be removed..... the trim panel will then spring outwards....

But you've probably got all this.... you just wanted to know which side the spring went on... right?

frats,
Rosco
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

If you don't have a door handle tool a bit of rag works just as well - feed it around the handle then yank it back and forth - the rag will pick up the end of the clip and lift it out :wink:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
rosco
State: VIC

Post by rosco »

Clever, Blacky - me, I just bought the tool and carry it in my toolbox - so, if ever we're out and about folk - and you need to rip off a door panel.... just ask.
You can easily make one out of a piece of .016 x 1" steel.... have to get the size of the opening right and the two angles of the end - again, if you catch up with me (with the EK) bring a bit of steel - and a texta - trace around mine and cut out your own.

frats,
Rosco