Oil Alt and Temp Gauge lights - EK sedan

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

jwk87
State: NOT ENTERED

Oil Alt and Temp Gauge lights - EK sedan

Post by jwk87 »

Hi all,

I have a EK sedan but when I drive it all three ignition lights stay on. Yes there is enough oil in it and yes the battery is fully charged and yes its not running hot.

Was wondering if these are a fault with this vehicles or could it just be a shoddy earth for these gauges.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks

JWK87
rosco
State: VIC

gauge lights

Post by rosco »

Hi,
the idiot lamps in your right hand cluster are all fed their positive supply from the ignition keyswitch.

Normally when we turn on the ignition, only the gen and oil lamps illuminate basically because there isn't any oil pressure nor is there an output from the generator to offset the voltage regulator sufficient to extinguish the gen light.

The temperature lamp is probably going to be our best clue to your dilemna - it is most likely getting an earth feed and if you can track that down you may find it somehow sending earth to the other two (although I don't know how?).

A word of caution if you have a bridging issue - I'm not sure if the voltage regulator can be damaged by an earth back-feed through the generator light wiring.

If you have a multimeter - a quick check would be to test the connection from the temperature sending unit by disconnecting the wire (should be green) from the unit on the engine and checking ohms (on the lowest setting) from the wire to a sound earth on the vehicle - if it is grounded ie reading no resistance at all, I'm afraid it's a case of tracing it back until you find the "earth" source.
If that wire is "open" to earth - I would start looking at the instrument cluster - I would expect to find the lamps finding an earth somewhere from the rear of the right hand side. I can't begin to imagine how all three come on - the earths to these are all independant and if shorted across would surely fuse the positive ignition feed.

hope I've been some help - please let us know your outcome on this - I'm very interested.
frats,
Rosco