blinker problem

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

dave a
State: NOT ENTERED

blinker problem

Post by dave a »

i've had the car on the road for a few months now and leaving work last night i put on the blinker and nothing. they have always flashed really fast and at night both green lights on the dash are faintly on. at the moment if you turn them on the 2 green lights go off. also a month ago i had an alarm installed. any clues on where to start.
BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Cal

Re: blinker problem

Post by Cal »

I'd check the flasher can first
MeFB

Post by MeFB »

dave a wrote:i've had the car on the road for a few months now and leaving work last night i put on the blinker and nothing. they have always flashed really fast and at night both green lights on the dash are faintly on. at the moment if you turn them on the 2 green lights go off. also a month ago i had an alarm installed. any clues on where to start.
Hey Dave,

I was having a good look at the wiring diagram for the indicators the other day, and the only +ve feed to the indicators is via the flasher can to the center contact on the indicator switch. This means that on a car with standard wiring, it's 'impossible' to have indicators working, glowing or whatever on both sides at once.

Whoever wired up your alarm has dropped a bollock with their wiring changes.

:arrow: :D
Alan
Member No.1 of the FB EK Holden Car Club of WA (Woo-hoo :D sweet!)
dave a

Post by dave a »

my son is blaming the alarn people to. funny that turning the alarm on or off the blinkers still flash. we'll look at it tomorrow. lucky its an old car people seem to just expect it not to have working blinkers. it's funny since i've been driving on a dayly basis how people stop and give way to old cars. its really cool :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
BUILT NOT BOUGHT
MeFB

Post by MeFB »

dave a wrote:my son is blaming the alarn people to. funny that turning the alarm on or off the blinkers still flash. we'll look at it tomorrow. lucky its an old car people seem to just expect it not to have working blinkers. it's funny since i've been driving on a dayly basis how people stop and give way to old cars. its really cool :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'm not sure that it's an old car thing, I think it's more of an old Holden thing :thumbsup:

Alan
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

I think it's more of an 'oh shit don't get in the way of that old shitbox, the brakes might fail' thing. At least thats why i think i get right of way most of the time :lol:
'The best engine in the world is a vagina. It can be started with only one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And it changes it's own oil every four weeks. It is a pity that the management system is so f*$king temperamental.'
MeFB

Post by MeFB »

EKjimmy wrote:I think it's more of an 'oh shit don't get in the way of that old shitbox, the brakes might fail' thing. At least thats why i think i get right of way most of the time :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Yeah, could be an element of fear involved...

Alan
dave a

Post by dave a »

it was a very expensive fix , a $3.90 flasher unit. though the ghost blinkers are still there.its weird when i start the car the faint ghost blinkers flash for about 20 seconds then stay on constant until you turn on the blinker.spooky :esurprised: :esurprised: :esurprised:
BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

dave a wrote:it was a very expensive fix , a $3.90 flasher unit. though the ghost blinkers are still there.its weird when i start the car the faint ghost blinkers flash for about 20 seconds then stay on constant until you turn on the blinker.spooky :esurprised: :esurprised: :esurprised:
Check your earths. Sounds like they could need cleaning up.

"disclaimer I'm no auto elec...." :mrgreen: