Help Brake Booster.....

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Saw the experts and the answer is no BOOST!

Some helpful tips for checking if the booster is working, get someone to apply the brakes while somone puts their hand over the filter section underneath the booster. You should feel it sucking a little. Also disconnect the vacuum hose and see how long the air takes to escape from the booster, mine went whoosh in a second not good! Should take longer.
And the other is when the break pedal is applied if the car runs rough booster has a vacuum leak.

Luckily these guys reopen Tuesday so I should still be on target for making the Kustom nats on Sunday! Only need to put in seat belts, rear seat and get the frontend aligned and I'm in business. Oh yeah and make the grill...
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Mr Delvilrod,
Are we going to see some photos or what?
Good to see your finaly on top of your suction problems :o
Make sure you get some insurance on your completed baby.
Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Thanks Greg, already insured, did that a few weeks ago in preparation. Photo's as soon as final cut and polish is done and interior is in..... So close but so far!
rosco

booster

Post by rosco »

Just a final word from me - short this time.............

You will certainly notice a difference when you "fix" those issues the brake people have "assisted" with.

The check valve and booster both sound suspect - from your symptoms is sounds as if you have been running with some (if any) boost only when the engine was running - check valve would have given a clue if the boost disappeared instantly the engine was stopped. The first application would probably have held or maybe released partially when the boost was destroyed. Any further application after that would have been unassisted.

If the engine is constantly drawing air through the booster (check it's just not the vacuum hose or connections first - check the filter on the underside of the booster whilst you are at it. There will probably be a lot of crud and grit under there which the previous owner had carefully collected for you. The filter is held in place by a hexagon wire retainer. You may wish to upgrade the filter to something more substantial). If you don't find any defects in the vacuum line or connections I'm afraid the booster will need a re-co or replacement.

If it is constantly drawing air and unable to create vacuum the engine will run rough - it will be taking in a lean mix with the additional air the manifold is drawing - if you have tuned your engine to that additional air, you will have to re-tune when you correct the booster issue or it will run rich.

When you correct the defect and have the system to spec you will still get a momentary hunt as the vacuum is re-created in the booster.

Let us know more as you move through correction the fault - I'm sure others are watching with interest............

frats,
Rosco
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Thanks again Rosco. I'm pulling the booster tonight and dropping it of tomorrow first thing. These guys have been more than helpful and have come through on time every time with their products. I purchased rubber brake lines and Master Cylinder, both times prices were as quoted and on time. So I figure this should be a walk in the park for them.

Allied Brake and Clutch in Cranbourne get my recommendation.

I hope this info does help someone else too Rosco...
rosco

booster

Post by rosco »

Sure, hope it all goes well.
I asked my local ABS to take a peek at my unit some time back - his response, I can get the kit in but it will probably cost nearly as much as a replacement.
He then told me he hadn't ever pulled one down - he was fairly senior in years - probably around my vintage and it concerned me that he hadn't come across repairing one. I told him I had to a certain extent but didn't go so far as to dismantle the valve assembly.
I was then told he would appreciate my assistance but would have to charge labor for the entire job! - guess my next line......................?
frats,
Rosco
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Booster was stuffed! I now have brakes. :D :D

Fitted and bled last night and all systems are go, much better feeling pedal.
Trev
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Trev »

Grouse, What time are you leaving on Sunday? 8)
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
FB1960

Post by FB1960 »

can you use the VH 24 booster with standard brake ?
Last edited by FB1960 on Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty
Going nowhere, getting there fast
smooth

Post by smooth »

FB1960 wrote:can you use the VH 24 booster with stahdard brake ?
Yes you can! The VH24 is the correct booster to add to your FB/EK using standard brakes - just how it was offered as a NASCO option by Holden dealers and Paton's Brake Replacements (PBR).

Regards, Smooth 8)
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi All
Have followed this topic from start to finish. All good stuff.
I plan on fitting a disc brake front end this weekend. hopefully a new booster from techboost in Vic will be here by the weekend $230 outright + $35 for the two mounting brackets.

I am running twin carbs on the old grey and there is a round flat area cast on the inlet manifold just above the middle 2 cylinders inlet. No problem to take the manifold off and drill and tap in here for the vacumn hose brass adaptor. just need to know what internal diam is the hose that feeds the booster so i can shop for the right sized adapter and hose before the booster gets here ( hopefully).
Dont wanna get to this job on sunday and not be able to buy the bits i need.

Probably wont get it finished anyway as i will have to get the master to booster and booster to brake junction block line made up as well. .... then there is the front engine mount.. etc.. etc

Hmmmmm might give up and run an old VH24????...... Nope i am determine to get rid of the squeaky kin pins and dodgey brakes in wet weather.

Reddo
Holden .. australian car for australian conditions.....partyin', drinkin' ,cruisin' and rootin'
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

reddo wrote:Hi All
just need to know what internal diam is the hose that feeds the booster so i can shop for the right sized adapter and hose before the booster gets here ( hopefully).
Dont wanna get to this job on sunday and not be able to buy the bits i need.
Will try to remember to measure it tonight, but I thought most booster vacuum lines were one size!?!? :? I could be wrong. BUT make sure you get Vacuum hose and NOT heater hose...
reddo wrote: .... then there is the front engine mount.. etc.. etc

Reddo
Easily done considering you have too cut of the HR outrigger and mount the EK one on the HR crossmember anyway :)

Glad this post has helped at least one person 8)
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Devilrod.
Will hit the shops this arvo and buy a metre or 2 or vacum hose.

Dont wanna get off topic here too much but....
I am using a HR disc brake front end that i took out of an EH. So has already been modded with the shorter EH outrigger. Was kinda hoping the EH outrigger is the same length and shape as an EK :roll:
Some seem to think they are.... and hopefully the front engine mount will drop into two holes i have drilled.
If there is a difference in shape the motor might sit higher.
If there is a difference in length .. i am rat shit and will have to fit an EK outrigger. FB Mad has already offered me an EK outrigger. Hopefully i wont neeed it.

Reddo
Holden .. australian car for australian conditions.....partyin', drinkin' ,cruisin' and rootin'
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

the outrigger also needs to bolt upto the front subframe rail neatly (just enough gap for the rubber mount). Make sure you get the right rubber kit for doing this also. My understanding is the original EK one's don't cut it. Rare Spares has them though.
reddo

Post by reddo »

Front end is out on the ground.
bought a rare spares rubber kit "EK with HR crossmember conversion" includes outrigger rubber= $60.
Hope to get the disc front end in tomorrow.
Thanks again for the advice.
vacumn hose I.D is 10mm
booster cost $230 outright with mount brackets from Hydroboost in Vic. caught up with Terry , one of the owners on his way back from Toowoomba swap . He stayed in Newcastle last night so . i picked it up from where he was staying ... paid cash and didnt have to worry about postage and handling.

Reddo