Axle Seals

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

troy_fb
State: NOT ENTERED

Axle Seals

Post by troy_fb »

Hi Guys,
Just fitted a 3.55 diff to my FB wagon and have finally removed the source of vibration and noise I have had for 10 odd years.

During the process I found that the two manuals I have differ in the axle seals they describe and I wanted to clarify the difference.
One describes a bearing with a seal that fits to the outer face while the bearing remains flooded, the other describes a setup with a sealed bearing and a boot/seal that fits into the end of the axle housing.

I had purchased the later seals but found that I had what seemed to be a sealed bearing (with O ring around outer edge). I wasn't completely sure if the inner bearing face was sealed and so did not want to fit the inner boot/seal if it was going to deprive the bearing of lube, so left everything as is and cross my fingers that it doesn't leak.

Anyone got experience with these differences and can tell me what i should have done?

Cheers
Aussie Bob
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Aussie Bob »

Don't know much about the seals Troy, but glad you have removed the vibration. Plus the fuel you will save with the taller diff.

On the Nationals trip it was amazing the amount of fuel used by the 389 ratio diffs (now that these cars are all running lower profile radial tyres) as contrast to my FB Van with the 278 diff :D