Family Affair Ek Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Family Affair Ek Ute

Post by Blacky »

Any photos of how bad it is mate? They are all in need of repair these days to some extent.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Sneezy1211
State: QLD

Post by Sneezy1211 »

Blacky wrote:Any photos of how bad it is mate? They are all in need of repair these days to some extent.
Not yet mate will go have a look at it tomorrow or Friday. The panel beater reckons about 3 k to fix it . I guess we would know it's good then and not risk getting another that needs work

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Take as many photos as you can Sneezy, and post them here. A few of the guys have partial subframes kicking around, and if you are lucky the bits you need are still on their donor subframe.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Yep, unfortunately if you cant do this sort of work yourself then its open wallet time.

This work is laborious and not for the uneducated in metal work, hence the cost.

Usually the lower legs, front bottom cross brace under the radiator and the wing sections that bolt to the body are the culprits.

$3000 if you havent got it is a lot but by the time you buy all the equipment, welder, bender, grinder etc it gets to $3000 quick.

Harvs right, there may be some bits lying around peoples yards that may assist in repair or even as a template.

To be honest the body on your ute looks in good condition.

Keep going

Regards greg
So many cars so little time!
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

What Blacky says.

The Rare Spares subframe legs and front tie members are pretty good quality, and a competent panelbeater should have no trouble with the repairs (if I can do it, then surely a panelbeater can). Plus you get to keep your chassis number, and you know that your subframe fits your body.

In this case, better to repair than replace.

Rob
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I bought a “rust free” subframe for $800, then spent a week fixing bodgy repairs that had been double skinned, bogged and painted over, including cut and shutting my original chassis number in to the new subframe

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Sneezy1211

Post by Sneezy1211 »

Errol62 wrote:I bought a “rust free” subframe for $800, then spent a week fixing bodgy repairs that had been double skinned, bogged and painted over, including cut and shutting my original chassis number in to the new subframe

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
That's what worries me in buying another , probably best to repair what we have and know it's right

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Old mate Pegleg Paul over here in Perth wants $5k for a refurbished subframe :crazy:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west-sw ... 1324632134

that's an EH one but he was advertising an EK one a while back - maybe it sold :econfused:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

. . . for that sort of $ I can see an opportunity here . . .

Rob
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

ardiesse wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:22 pm . . . for that sort of $ I can see an opportunity here . . .

Rob
Yeah - if you had a ready market , if you had to sit on it for 6+ months to sell it then it wouldn't be worthwhile

How many people are out there that would pay that sort of money for one ??? From what Paul tells me the bulk of his stuff is sold to panel shops for insurance work and heads over east

Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Sub frames are the easiest repair going.

I think I have the centre section Rares piece that you can have for the postage cost if you need it. I don't think there is much of a problem with the subframes being swapped from one car to another ( I have moved 3 between cars and they all fitted without any fuss).

The only thing that becomes a bit tedious is dealing with the chassis number, but that panel rarely rusts out and can be swapped out if need be. The battery sides for mine required some extra metal work. Lining up the legs is about the only task requiring a bit of patience if they need repairs.

My only concern would be if the subframe is really badly rusted there will have to be more lurking elsewhere. Hope not. But if so, welcome to the club.🙂
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Sneezy1211

Post by Sneezy1211 »

Evening gents , was a bit late to get decent pictures but heading back out to catch up with the panel beater on the weekend to put a proper plan in place .
20240523_170500.jpg
20240523_170500.jpg (44.61 KiB) Viewed 316 times
20240523_170457.jpg
20240523_170457.jpg (40.63 KiB) Viewed 316 times
20240523_170454.jpg
20240523_170454.jpg (65.45 KiB) Viewed 316 times
20240523_170447.jpg
20240523_170447.jpg (42.83 KiB) Viewed 316 times
20240523_170443.jpg
20240523_170443.jpg (48.23 KiB) Viewed 316 times
20240523_170438.jpg
20240523_170438.jpg (60.58 KiB) Viewed 316 times
20240523_170314.jpg
20240523_170314.jpg (58.57 KiB) Viewed 316 times

Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

At the risk of being a smartarse, what you are showing there is pretty standard subframe rust. Legs and the angled bits are all available from Rares ( I might even have the short angled radiator support pieces as well for postage cost) and easily replaced. The panels look pretty good and easy repairs there too. Probably about $400 worth of bits and about 30hours of fab work- maybe less. Easy to see the money being spent if you are paying others to do it.
Seeing the fairly ordinary repair on the leg reminds me of Wilma. 😪
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Sneezy1211

Post by Sneezy1211 »

Brett027 wrote:At the risk of being a smartarse, what you are showing there is pretty standard subframe rust. Legs and the angled bits are all available from Rares ( I might even have the short angled radiator support pieces as well for postage cost) and easily replaced. The panels look pretty good and easy repairs there too. Probably about $400 worth of bits and about 30hours of fab work- maybe less. Easy to see the money being spent if you are paying others to do it.
Seeing the fairly ordinary repair on the leg reminds me of Wilma. Image
Hi mate , not a smart ass at all. appreciate the input . The ute isn't mine any more it's my younger brothers if it was still mine I'd be chipping away repairing if I had the time . I don't have the time neither does he but he's happy to pay . Bit of a win win I get to build the the family ute into something great with him and he foots the bills hahaha . Would be definitely interested in any parts you would be willing to part with

ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

And I'll second what Brett said. You'll get 3/4 of the way there with subframe legs, tie member and "dumb-irons" (the short sections with the stabiliser bar mounts). The rusted-out bits at the "triple-junction" where the idler arm bolts on are fairly easy to fabricate from sheet metal. As are the upper parts where the subframe skirt attaches to the body.

The Rares inner LH subframe leg section won't quite be long enough to fix the rot in the inner LH leg, where the old grey motor engine mount brackets go, so you'll need to make a short repair out of sheet. There's a pair of crush-tubes and a strengthening piece in there; but if you are not going back to a grey motor, the repair will be easier.

Take a look at https://forum.fefcholden.club/index.php?topic=27433.200 (and a few pages onwards)- it shows the repairs I did to my current project's subframe.

I reckon if your panelbeater can repair the subframe for $3k, it's money well spent.

Rob