Red Rattler Revamp

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Red Rattler Revamp

Post by Blacky »

Laid on 3 coats, the first 2 were pretty horrible so I stopped and had to phone a friend- me mate Damo who is a whiz of a painter , he said to check a couple of things and sure enough he was right - the breather on the lid of the gun was blocked and the trigger setting was wrong so I charged ahead and blew on another coat which went on better

This was the overspray on the first 2 coats - dry as a very dry thing

Third coat and I was figuring that would do - it fit in well with the rest of the thing Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

But I decided to take Damo’s advice and block all the furry bits off with 800 and blow a couple of wet coats over it

And here it is , all painted , the boot rubber is glued back into what’s left of the boot rubber retaining lip and the boot actually closes and has a gap like a normal car - without the bootlid sitting on top of the quarter panel like it used to

I was going to put the taillight and bumper on but I can’t find the bloody taillight ImageImageImage
Tomorrow job ……..

When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Blacky wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:27 pm Hope to have it ready to go on the dyno this month
… looks carefully at photos for SMALL blower snout pulley

:ebiggrin:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
60Special

Post by 60Special »

Should be back on the road in no time.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Today’s progress report

Figured the taillight might be in the car along with a lot of the other crap off the car so I yanked all the stuff outa there - found the front door trims that had been very carefully tossed in there were now very bent and warped so ordered a new set of cards from Epay Image
While it was reasonably empty thought I may as well clean it right out so put it all came - found some tools that had been missing for a long time but no taillight Image
Eventually found it on the bench under yet more shite …..

Mick set to cleaning and polished up both taillights and the rear bumper while I removed 5 years of dust from the rest of it

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Then I masked up underneath and painted the last of the body schutz

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Bumper was rusty, has been for years so we used the WD-40 and aluminium foil trick to clean it up

Then a bit of purple polish to keep the rust monster away

Masticed up the hole and mounted up the taillight
Mounted the bumper and it sat pretty horrible, probably always did but never really noticed before so we thought we would fix it, had a bit of fun with the Numberplate mounting while we were at it

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Found the drivers side bumper mount had been hit at some stage so stripped it and gently belted crap out of it until it looked right , massaged the ding out of the bumper so the straightened mount would sit flat and whacked it all back together

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Fits better now ImageImage

FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Getting close mate
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Not a lot of shed time today , had to help Jules with a bit of shed reroofing this morning , seemed only fair seeing as he did the quarter panel for me ,

Sorted out the plumbing for the idle air motor and ran the wires in for the idle air, inlet air temp sensor and knock sensor - hopefully that’s the last of the wiring ImageImage

Manifold back on to work out where the idle air motor is going to live
Had to drill and tap the inlet plenum to accept a 1/2” BSP fitting

Gave it a coat of paint while it was off as it’s getting pretty scratched up with all the mounting and removing that’s gone on , Club run this arvo so that’s about it for today

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Didn’t get a lot of work done on Sunday as I had some house stuff to sort out , managed to get the speedo cable installed, dug out a flywheel cover off an old donk up the back plus dragged out the tow bar to take to work to be sandblasted and powder coated

Used a HQ style grommet to bring the cable through the firewall near the steering column rather than up near the top of the firewall

Standard flywheel cover needs to be modified to fit , had to bend the bottom bit up and trim it around the slave cylinder

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Took the tow bar and flywheel cover to work today and blasted them , then figured I may as well just paint it and fit it again - bloody spray can shit the tin and more paint ended up on the floor than on the tow bar ImageImage

Painted the flywheel cover as well

Bolted them both on tonight Image that ticks off a couple of more jobs ImageImage

EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

I love your painting Blacky !!

Don't those rattle cans just piss you off, I have had many long distance can throwing events at my house !!!!

You seem to have a bit of urgency going on here, any particular reason ?

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

EK283 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:38 am
You seem to have a bit of urgency going on here, any particular reason ?

Greg
I had 2 weeks off over Christmas, the first week was meant to be house reno week and the second week shed week - ended up with 3 and a bit days of shed time which is better than last year which ended up one day of shed time :(

Trying to get this hooker finished for the Nats in Bunbury - was meant to be finished for Toowoomba in 2021 ..................

Fkn houses :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: