door handles not conecting

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

dave a
State: NOT ENTERED

door handles not conecting

Post by dave a »

got my upholstery redone and the upholsterer used a little to much foam on the door trims. combine that with the door cards i made ' we have a problem.but only on some of the handles. they dont seem to be going on to the spline enough to catch. you have to push it hard on , then turn. ive tried pulling most of the foam out from around the holes but still not going in far enough. any one got any suggestions , getting desperate
BUILT NOT BOUGHT
MeFB

Re: door handles not conecting

Post by MeFB »

dave a wrote:got my upholstery redone and the upholsterer used a little to much foam on the door trims. combine that with the door cards i made ' we have a problem.but only on some of the handles. they dont seem to be going on to the spline enough to catch. you have to push it hard on , then turn. ive tried pulling most of the foam out from around the holes but still not going in far enough. any one got any suggestions , getting desperate
Have you replaced the door rubbers also, or just the cards? The reason I ask is that it's normally the replacement door rubbers that cause that problem.

:arrow: :D
Alan
Member No.1 of the FB EK Holden Car Club of WA (Woo-hoo :D sweet!)
MeFB

Post by MeFB »

Sorry - just read your build thread - very, very nice :thumbsup:

Saw that you did do the door seals. If they are the ones from Rare Spares, then they are notorious for being too fat and making the doors difficult to close without slamming them pretty hard.

Might not be the seals, but I'd check them first before attacking your nice new door trims.

:arrow: :D
Alan
Trev

Post by Trev »

You might have to check that the spline inside the handle is in good nic, I had some real nice handles that were worn out half way inside the holes and didn't work.
If that isn't the problem, take the door cards back to the upholsterer and tell him your problem. He might be able to remove some of the padding around the handles.
Good luck.
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
MeFB

Post by MeFB »

Now I get it. Forget what I said about door seals :lol:

:arrow: :lol:
Alan
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

Hi Dave

I've just done all the doors on mine - 8 'handles' in total - 4 winders and 4 door openers and yep it can be tricky getting them on.

I found it sometimes useful to have two people on the job. Someone to push the door card in and someone to carefully push the special tool to engage the clip.

As Trev said if the door handle wont either wind or open then the spline is stuffed and no amount of pushing will fix that.

regards
Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
wot179

Post by wot179 »

Try a light smear of vasso on the spindle so the clips slip over easily when you wallop the handle with the palm of your hand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elwood: I bet these cops got SCMODS.
Jake: SCMODS?
Elwood: State County Municipal Offender Data System.

W.S.C.C.A.
St Marys chapter.
dave a

Post by dave a »

thanks for all your suggestions, i really didn't look inside the handles i was to busy picking out the best chrome. that might explain how some work and some dont. thanks i'll keep you posted.
BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

You can get new ones - I bought '57 Chev ones from Danchuk in the US - they are identical.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.