axle seals

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

steve
State: NOT ENTERED

axle seals

Post by steve »

:? Hi Guys and Girls
Took my axles out to put in new bearings,when we took out the last axle didnt notice the two rubber type o rings , both are the same size in diameter but one is thicker than the other, they are seals i would think but where do they go, fb manual isnt real clear. what do i do :roll:
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi steve
new pre 1964 bearings should have the right seals already in the groove on the bearing case....Outer edge.. the seal goes nearer the outer edge of the bearing when pressing it on. its just a rubber "o "ring.
EH onward have a cup shaped seal which is seperate to the bearing and slides on over the axle from the spline end once the bearing is pressed on.
If you have 2 o rings on the same axle ..... well .. someone has forgot to remove the old omne when they where removing the axle .. or .. replacing a buggered wheel bearing.

Reddo
Holden .. australian car for australian conditions.....partyin', drinkin' ,cruisin' and rootin'
steve

Post by steve »

Thanks Reddo
New bearings i got have two o rings on the bearing and the bearing guy recon you dont need the old seals ?? some how im not convinced