Another Cortina

Got something else that you want to show off that's not an FB or EK? Try this section.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FB wannabe
State: NOT ENTERED

Another Cortina

Post by FB wannabe »

I blame Brown bear for this one! :lol: he put the idea in my head at Bendigo, ever since I have been looking for a possible candidate.

Photos that were used for sale

Had to drive a fair way to get it though..... try 1380k's each way! :shock:

The future......

So my plan was not really to bother cleaning it up too much and just to build it as this car and get it on the road, but having a think about it I have decided a different route. Being a interstate car it has to go for an i.d check at the pits shouldn't be a big deal but you never know, the plan is now to clean it up, get it on the road then some time after that do the change.

After a wash and polish

I've had to use every cleaning trick in the book on this one, poor thing had been sitting where it was in the first pics for "about 2 years" :roll: I used Armoral on the vinyl but it did jack so I used bepanthanen? think that's how it's spelt and rubbed it in came up a treat. I also used one of finny's "soapy pillow of goodness" on the aluminium grill and the results were amazing! 8)

Just about got all th cleaning done then I will float between cutting out and repairing the rust and doing mechanical stuff. This is how I fix cars, make them look pretty then do mechanical. Everyone else I know does it opposite, guess I'm just special :lol:
You won't be late with a 138!
Sputzwagon

Post by Sputzwagon »

Nice car 'Guv'nah'..looks like it's a 2 litre auto...should give the Sweeny a run for his money. :wink: 8) :lol: :lol:

Scotty.
[img]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg211/scottyharrod/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No 2
Brown Bear

Post by Brown Bear »

"Alpha one, we're all over it"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id2uHeK7Jmo

Glad you took the idea on... I'd have done my licence in no time!
On safari

Member of FB EK Holden Car Club of NSW Inc.
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

classic...love it. Wish I still had my '77 beige 2 door toyota corolla...used to turn the air con off for more power when going up Mt Ousley... :lol:
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
FB wannabe

Post by FB wannabe »

Hey sunny Tim that's pretty funny! :lol:

Brown bear, yeah it had to be done, I've always wanted a famous/movie car. Also love the you tube clip 8)

Sputzwagon, yep she's a 2litre auto. The one in the show was a manual so I'll be doing a conversion in the future but am keen to go 5 speed, I've heard the Pintara gearbox is a good thing for the little 2 litre.

A bit of info on the car, It's a early 1974 TC Cortina, which is actually very late for a TC, most 1974 models are the later TD. I picked it up for $350 and despite the rust problems it does start / drive, drove it on to the trailer in fact. In the glovebox we found quite a bit of paperwork for it like a reciept for sale in 2005 for $1800 and some rego transfer slips. As well as this there was a reciept at a mechanic for some work done to it to get rego'd and one very special piece of paper which was a for sale ad which had the name and number which matched up to the reciept. Ad describes the car as fantastic condition and has a price tag of $3000. It has a picture of it on it and it looks immaculate :cry: I plan to give these people a ring at some time and tell them where the car is. The ad also mentions that it has got 55,000 orginal miles on it, the car now has 65,000 on it which is a mere 104,000 k's 8)

I've started collecting parts to try and make it look somewhat like the car from the show, like the twin headlight grille and the gxl badge on the front turned up from the U.K on Friday. Currently looking for the E badges you can see in the youtube link. Havn't found anything yet. Also the wheels are prooving a little tricky as well, apparently they are prone to crack around the nut holes :roll: still it's all fun!!

At the moment the front guards are getting the rust cut out of them and plated with......... yep, sections that we are cutting out of an FB guard :shock: bet there arn't too many Cortinas getting around with fb metal in them! :lol:. The rust in the guards isn't too bad just a few small holes near the bottom where mud / crap gets trapped behind it. I'll post pictures soon.
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

Those Cortinas used to go like stink with a worked 250 in them... 8) 8) 8)
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
Brown Bear

Post by Brown Bear »

Sounds like a good score!

Apparently the 'life on mars' cortina was a mix up of equipment and trim levels... there's a hilarious episode of Top Gear where Jeremy Clarkson riles Philip Glenister (Gene Hunt) about it... his response "I think you're mistaking me for someone who gives a toss" has to be one of the best quotable quotes ever.

At the conclusion of the show the star car was auctioned off, making some amazing amount of $$ - something around 20,000 pounds from memory :shock:

It'll be an enjoyable restoration / transformation, and still a damn sight cheaper than a quattro :wink:
On safari

Member of FB EK Holden Car Club of NSW Inc.
Stygian
State: NSW

Post by Stygian »

FB MAD wrote:Those Cortinas used to go like stink with a worked 250 in them... 8) 8) 8)
He could go one better than that and slot one of those turbo XR6 motors into it...up the boost slightly, new valve springs and voila 400 flywheel HP... would be a fun sleeper with the exterior and interior original...
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

Edna Blueflash wrote:
FB MAD wrote:Those Cortinas used to go like stink with a worked 250 in them... 8) 8) 8)
He could go one better than that and slot one of those turbo XR6 motors into it...up the boost slightly, new valve springs and voila 400 flywheel HP... would be a fun sleeper with the exterior and interior original...
Aaah ..... yeah.......... he could I suppose, the XR6 are around the 250 cubic inch displacement?? so technically it would come under owner approved modification............ off to the blue slip station and way you go!!
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

Bepantham? As in the same stuff they tell you to use after getting a tat done? Does that condition vinyl?
'The best engine in the world is a vagina. It can be started with only one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And it changes it's own oil every four weeks. It is a pity that the management system is so f*$king temperamental.'
JimmyJazz

Post by JimmyJazz »

ekjimmy - yep. thats the tattoo stuff - for nappy rash, chaped nipples, healing ink and now restoring vinyl.
FB wannabe

Post by FB wannabe »

Spot on Jimmy jazz, I found some in the draw that the missus had left over from when she got hers done. A mate of mines Dad suggested it to me for the vinyl roof on the blue sedan I have and I thought, why not? it came up a treat! 8) would reccomend it to anyone who wants to do a deep condition on their vinyl.

Terry, yeah your right they do go like stink with a worked 250 in them, I am currently doing the blue sedan with one and a C4 3.5 l.s.d etc etc. Motor should put out around 250hp at flywheel so it should be a good thing in a car that weighs bugger all :twisted: As for the xr6 turbs motor - Pass! they basicly don't fit, they are a absolutelty massive motor. There was a te cortina in street machine last year that had one in it and it was a nightmare to get it in and make it all work, then he had the problem of overheating. He ended up putting a 4" bonnet scoop on it to get more airflow around it.

Anyway heres some pics of the guards we repaired using good ol' fb metal

Stay tuned.
MINT62

Post by MINT62 »

cant believe you missed our early holden day to buy Another Cortina :o
INVEST IN PRECIOUS METAL
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

MINT62 wrote:cant believe you missed our early holden day to buy Another Cortina :o
More to the point why would you want two? :shock: :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
FB wannabe

Post by FB wannabe »

Would've been a different story if my fb wasn't in about 400 pieces! It's just the way it turned out, I teed it up with my mate, we both thought we had a free weekend and we booked it. It was only aftewards I realised the show was on that weekend :oops:. I had already post poned the trip twice and didn't fancy doing it again. But, I was actually going to cancel the trip untill the missus said she would go in my place to help out etc. What can I say? I don't have a wife, I have a best mate who just happens to have an amazing body :lol: