radiator baffle

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

rosco
State: VIC

radiator baffle

Post by rosco »

Hi all,
finally got around to removing that unsightly body deadener from across the face of my radiator baffle and its fender side plates.
Also removed the flywire screen and thermo fan together with rod mounting braces after fitting the original red motor fan.
Those interested may wish to know that a HT manual radiator will fit onto the baffle (after removal of approx three inches each side) and will permit use of red motor fan.

My question is concerning re-inforcing the baffles immediately where the radiator mounts onto the baffle plate.

I intend to form a 1 inch strip running vertically down each side between the upper and lower cross frames from some mild steel folded in half and stitch welded into position. This will give a more rigid mount base for the radiator ( the previously fitted thermo-fan rods held the two halves very well - but were a little unsightly) and prevent any deflection at speed.
Clearance of fan blade to radiator is approx. 5/8 inch.

Whilst I'm in there does anyone have further suggestions of improvements which can be effected?

At the nationals, the grand champion had a lovely stainless overflow tank fitted to the R/hs of the radiator - hmmmm.... looked great - much better than my plastic fender skirt attempt. Anyone know where one of these can be procurred?

frats,
Rosco
reidy

Post by reidy »

Hiyah Rosco, regarding Further suggestions on improving your EK, why not turn it into an FB, that would make a world of difference to it and would improve the look of the car tremendously not to mention increasing its value :wink:
As for an overflow bottle, get yourself a copy of Kruzin Magazine or Australian Street Rodder, they have adds from different retailers and i am sure you will find what you are looking for. Regards Reidy
rosco

EK~FB

Post by rosco »

Thanks Bill,
actually to the more discerning observer, my EK has already started it's recruitment of FB parts. Unfortunately, due to lack of quality (which is not post production!) most available FB downgrades are not suitable for my application so I will just have to continue maintaining the up market model.

I will persue the mag and see if one of those overflow tanks is avail.

I have had a peek through my collection of Nats pix and it would appear all modified vehicles increasing radiator size which I saw have not bothered to provide additional support to the radiator mounts - I can't accept that and will provide pix (you doubted this - I'm sure) of my attempts.

thanks for your suggestions - I will consider their relevance.
frats,
Rosco
p.s. in your new role - does it mean we now get access to a blazer with flames and dice? B/bird will go ape!
reidy

Post by reidy »

As you will very well appreciate Rosco, the flamed jacket brotherhood has to be extremely carefull on who it considers appropriate to have the honour of wearing this sort of apparel. As you will of course understand we have a rambunctious image to uphold, thus, one has to step back and really have a good look at themselves and give due consideration as to whether they want to keep driving a car that has previuosly only been associated with Nana's on a weekly trip to the local bowling club, instead of the extremely cool looks of the FB. :wink:
But, as you seem to want to persue the availability of said clothing, due consideration will be given as to whether we are able to swing the vote in your favour at our next gathering of this very imortant brotherhood of which you seek to be a member.
As for your enquiries on modifications to the radiator support panel,i would be very carefull and make sure you do your homewook before any cutting takes place (is the engine overheating with the existing setup) as once you go down this road it is a lot of work to go back. Regards Reidy
rosco

Post by rosco »

Thankyou for your prompt response Reidy,
I suppose you are correct in stating selectivety of those adorning the badge of distinction flamed blazer.
I may not be a suitable candidate in this ilk - I have rather mundane tastes and usually go with what fashion sense is the norm. I am probably well advised to accept your decree and cease persual of what is clearly beyond my abilities.

It would also be inappropriate to consider fashioning my EK to that of an FB - what would I do with all the escess EK attraction when transformation is completed.

In respect to my modification concerning the larger radiator - this has already been accomplished when I modified the vehicle in 1983.
At that time, we ran with a modified XW.Y oval radiator (which I might add here did precious little to improve things - if not deteriorate them - from the original EK. I tolerated it, using a Davies Craig thermo but was far from comfortable with the setup.
After about 2 years, I stumbled across an EK ute using the red motor belt driven fan and a HT 186 radiator.
Further cutting of the baffle permitted mounting this radiator and re-fitting the water pump fan - the car has performed marvellously ever since.
I left the thermo in place until last week when I finally decided to "clean up" the area.
I would however like to strengthen each side of the baffle where the radiator mounts - just by running a straight 1" strip along the front edge and tacking it in half a dozen places.
It is probably not necessary as the radiator frame is quite robust - but just in case the core comes away from its frame somewhere down the track - I will add the extra security.

I do thank you for your concern and hope someday to be considered acceptable to fraternise in your domain.

Rosco
rosco

stage four complete

Post by rosco »

To those watching this post. I have just completed the fourth stage of welding the radiator baffle area.

First stage was to remove those thermo fan mounting rods and "U" bolts and strip back the baffles to bare steel (I could write a chapter on why not to use body deadener!).

Second stage was to fill in the unsightly holes left when the "U" bolts were removed. I used a 10mm thick copper plate as backing and mig welded in the holes. Angle grinder made a quick neat flush finish to both sides.
(I was also able to "move" the upper left radiator hole by welding in the existing one and drilling a new one in the correct position - original was 5mm out!)

Stage three was to fit gussets into the ends of the baffle ribs where each side of the baffle was cut to fit the larger radiator.
I cut a "V" back into the ribs at 45 deg and welded in 2mm mild steel gussets - again the angle grinder cleaned up the excess.

Fourth stage has been to fit radiator mount support braces behind the baffle. I cut two 30mm x 365mm x 2mm mild steel strips and migged them in place.
Having previously drilled out the radiator mounting holes in the braces, I found it easier to bolt them in place then weld along the top and outer edge joints making a seam, finally dressing it back to a neat edge using my beloved grinder - very happy with results - should finally look neat when painted up.

Final stage will be welding in a backing plate to the upper baffle crossmember ( rear centre section removed to fit a XW/Y blue oval radiator 20+years ago - don't bother, original FB/EK did a better job!)

- now for a few little chores whilst I have all those pieces out of the vehicle at my disposal,
frats,
Rosco