202 Motor Question (Engineers Certificate?)

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

insidemetal
State: NOT ENTERED

202 Motor Question (Engineers Certificate?)

Post by insidemetal »

I'm looking at buying an FB. I want to know something about the motor. Here is the info I have on it; Engine : 202 with a 5 speed gearbox.

I was wondering if the person I am buying it off recently installed a 202 motor replacing the original grey motor, does it need to have an engineers certificate? I rang around to try and find some answers but no one knew a thing.

Thanks in advance.
FB 60

Post by FB 60 »

If you live in NSW - YES as motor capacity has increased by more than 15%(asuming the car is not registered as a 202).

There would have been more modifications done then just a motor & gearbox swap - upgrade of front end (usually to HR) including welding, a red motor mounts differently to the old grey, brakes also would need to be improved.

See this site for more info

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... /vsi06.pdf

Andrew
[b][color=#EEAD0E]Andrew....AKA FC_1958 on the "other" forum[/color][/b]
earlyholdenfan

Post by earlyholdenfan »

Pretty much every state will require you to have an engineers inspection, one sure fire way to check is to ring your state department of main roads or transpot, they will soon let you know especially if you speak to vehicle modifications department.
Secondly ask the seller if the engine number on the red motor appears on the registration papers, that way you will know if you MAY have any problems, if it is then they will have already had the engineers report and sorted it out, no problems!!
Matt
Hoping everyone is finding my new Avatar less "Distracting" and of course it is not directed at anyone or anything either currently living or deceased, hopefully it may just be allowed to remain!
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Apparently in Vic now it is an acceptable swap, this coming from a friend who recently completed a course to become a licensed RWC issuer.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
insidemetal

Post by insidemetal »

Thats a great help, but for anyone's further information, here's what I got from Vic Roads; If alteration of the vehicles frame or structure is involved and specially fabricated supports or structures are used then an Engineers Approval Certificate must be supplied.

Anyone know how much it costs to get an engineers certificate?
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Sounds like a standard Vicroads response, book must have been open on that page. Seriuosly though if its registered with the 202 already get a roadworthy and your away. I've ownd an FC and an EK ute both with red motors and NO engineers. Legit Roadworthies on both (no comments about needing engineers) and the FC was NSW reg to start off. I have never been asked by the TOG for an engineers report when pulled over and realistically most vicroads staff would not have a clue. If it looks safe and is well executed to you and drives and stops well, passes the roadworthy, save yourself some time and definetly money (engineers anywhere from about $400? to who knows????). Engineers in Vic are playing havoc with modified cars at the moment. I know off quite a few cars getting stuffed around at the moment and they are far from radical..

Just as a comparison, a company here in Melbourne were charging $5000 to do an EK engineered red motor conversion. Second Hand parts not reco.....

Just my 2 cents worth..
Nekro63

Post by Nekro63 »

Hey brett, you say the FC was rego'd in NSW? Dont they check then when your swapping to vic rego?? Or do you just need a roadworthy and new plates???
yeprat1

Post by yeprat1 »

all i know is my fb is running a 179 hp with hr front end running ht discs and it had an engineer certificate already when i bought it
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

If the car is currently rego'd a roadworthy is all thats needed and a copy of the engineers report only if the car has one.

Case in point a yellow roadster similar to mine was purchased from NSW and roadworthied then swapped over to Vic no inspection needed.
EK283
State: NSW

Engineering

Post by EK283 »

Hi guys,
Unfortunately in the world today ignorance is no excuse! My advise is to seek all info in regards to vehicle mods and play by the book no matter what state.
You wouldnt want to drive your pride and joy into a $100000.00 Ferrari then vere into a $250000.00 street light control point only to find your insurance company refuses payment cause your car is not legally engineered :cry: . Its all good fun till something goes wrong and the finger will point back to you, so be very informed and get signatures!
Regards Greg