Speedo on Ebay

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

dave68
State: QLD

Speedo on Ebay

Post by dave68 »

There is a speedo on :twisted: bay and the claim is its' a police speedo for early holdens. Looks standard but it is kph and has a trip meter. Is this suitable for FB EK. Here is the number of the item, sorry I can't post links to that place. 330255262957
Whatever....:(
Thommo
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Thommo »

Click Here to view speedo :wink:
dave68

Speedo

Post by dave68 »

Went for $355 :shock: :shock: Out of my range... good luck to whoever got it. Hope it was a forum member.... :P
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Why the hell would you need a kph speedo in a police car in the '60s ?????
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
tinhunter

Post by tinhunter »

Why the hell would you need a kph speedo in a police car in the '60s ?????
Good question Blacky :)

Can't say I've ever seen or heard of one of these before, it's just an aftermarket gauge put in a holden mount. IMHO Anybody could have put that together whilst building up a custom at some stage........
trying to save some heritage before the scrappies crush it all...........
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

as soon as i saw it in KMH i figured it was just another ebay scamer out to make a quick buck on the current early holden craze :roll: my guess it came out of some pommy sh!t box
a mate did have a HT/HG speedo marked police special but it was MPH and identical to normal other than having police special on it :?
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

Seller could have doubled his $355 if he'd mentioned the word NASCO in the sale :wink: :wink: :wink:
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
dave68

speedo

Post by dave68 »

Hey just got this PM from Rosco. Putting it up with his permission.
Hi Dave68,
still having a spell from posting, but you might like to warn people that ebay is an excellent place to "invent" a reason for someone's modification.....
To the best of my memory, police vehicles in those years were Studibakers.....and other American vehicles with a bit of grunt - there may have been some divi vans - and yes - to the best of my knowledge, speed was indicated in Australian cars only as mph (British) - I feel the Vanguard had a dual scale also showing km/h, along with European, Japanese and most other "imported" vehicles but can't remember - the British ones also included a line or different colored marker/numeral at the "30" - this was the British suburban speed limit - you will also find this in vehicles from New Zealand.
The first I saw of a Holden with a dual scale was an LJ Torana - around 1972......ish - can't remember if it was preceded by the LC..... too far back......I can't remember whether the mph or km/h was the outer and larger of the two indicated fonts........ someone will know - I'll take a peek next time I come in contact with one..........

I remember in 1974 when crossing the Nullabor (318 miles of dirt road) once we hit the WA border, speed signage was in the current km/h.......
I was told by the locals then that 110 converted to 68 mph - they'll book you if you doing 70.........it must have been almost at the turning point and a topical issue.......

As for an FB or EK with a metric speedo - Australian production is definitely aftermarket/modified.

The only exception, I feel, may be of issue could be related to exports - South Africa or similar - but feel anything still under "Commonwealth" rule would have been imperial......... but, there's a chance.....

In around the 74~75 mark, a couple of options were available to make our speedo's metric - one was to fit a clear sticker on the gauge.
The other was by incorporating a "gear box" which made the multiplication - these were very erratic as the speed error increased considerably at the top end of our scale.......... as I remember - I'm glad I didn't touch mine - not one jot........

As mentioned above - some genius has had a bright flash of light - I can hear the words of his mate already - "yeah, that'd be right - must have been a cop car - that'll be worth a fortune on ebay.........." this stuff needs to be nipped in the bud before our people consider it feasible.......

guess that's a post I wasn't going to do - eh...?
throw it up as your own if you want to cut and paste......
Author: Rosco.
blue ute

Post by blue ute »

HHHmmm when did decimal conversion come in - 4-5 yrs after the EK - doubt if police would have kept cars for that long, says it's in an FJ housing ??? sort of self explanatory
The only reason for time is so everything dosen't happen at once.
If Macca's home delivered there'd be one less drunk on the road.
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

From memory,

Decimal came into Australia in 1974.
oldgmh

Post by oldgmh »

we used to sing it at school -

"in come the dollars and in come the cents,
to replace the pounds, the shillings and the pence,
so be ready folks, when the coins begin to mix,
on the fourteenth of february 1966."

:D :shock:
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

Your right there oldgmh.

Decimel did hit us in "66.

I should have said up above :roll: that from memory METRIC came into Australia in 1974.