Help , EK hood release not working

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

AL
State: NOT ENTERED

Help , EK hood release not working

Post by AL »

As the subject says , having trouble opening the bonnet. Ive pulled the internal hood release cable out,pushed the release lever under the bonnet up and pushed the locating hook , but to no avail.
Any tips :? :? :?
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

Not familiar with the EK hood release as I haven't got one but I remember with my HQ Monaro that they had a clip at the hood catch that would hold the outer cable in place.If this clip was bent or worn it allowed the outer cable to slip and wouldn't actuate the hood release catch.Check to see if there is evidence of your outer cable slipping at all.

Terry.
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

They do have a habit of siezing in the cable part-at least the couple I have seen have but they are normally on wrecks that arent regularly used. Maybe try spraying some WD40 up into the bonnet latch mechanism and working the cable to see if it frees up ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
ek61

Post by ek61 »

the problem with it AL is it needs to be changed it has a wear mark on the locating hook allong the edge where it should slide past the bonnet catch it has worn a notch in it that keeps getting caught
you could try and file it flat again but prob easier just to replace it 8)

it was like it when i owned it its a bit of a challeng to get a hand through the grill slats i just couldnt be bothered changing it :shock: and i reccon i put a spare one in the car when i sold it

cheers dave 8)
"THE JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES BEGINS WITH A BROKEN FAN BELT AND A FLAT TYRE"
***just cruise***
reidy
State: VIC

Post by reidy »

Hi Al, these have a habit of wearing a groove on the unlocking lever, i had the same problem with mine and i CAREFULLY used an angle grinder to smooth out the lever slightly. Remove the least amount of material as possible. The groove won't allow the lever to slide smoothly out of the square hole in the lower attaching mount.
If you are in any doubt whatsoever regarding the locking integrity of your bonnet mechanism, i would strongly recommend changing the complete assembly as a safety precaution,
Hope this answers your question. Regards Bill 8)
AL

Post by AL »

Thanks guys , as yet cant get it open to rectify the prob.
:? :?
reidy
State: VIC

Post by reidy »

I had to reach under very carefully and unlock the mechanism under the lower mount where mechanism protrudes through the square hole.
Regards Bill 8)
AL

Post by AL »

GOT IT :D :D :D