3 speed manual gearbox compatibility

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

hammondo
State: NOT ENTERED

3 speed manual gearbox compatibility

Post by hammondo »

hello,

I need to find a 3 speed manual gearbox for my FB ute. I have heard that some models have different linkages etc and don't swap in. I have also heard that it needs to be a FB/EK gearbox to solve this problem.

Can anybody clarify?

Also, If anybody has a suitable working gearbox that they want to sell then let me know!

Thanks
Greg
rosco
State: VIC

Post by rosco »

Hi Greg,
don't have specifics on this but feel if you can find a grey box it is much simpler.

I am of the opinion that if you use an all synchro (HT onwards) you will need to open up the floor - along with all fittings (see below) to make it work - linkages may be an issue (unless you opt for floor shift). With this box, I you will need a different splined output shaft - and probably tailshaft length will need to be addressed.

If you use an earlier red motor box, your linkages, starter motor, clutch slave cyl, and probably speedo (amongst other things I can't think of any more at present) will need to be accomodated. Not absolutley sure, but you may need to alter the length of tailshaft - others will have more on this.
There were two red motor 3 speeds - the earlier one had smaller "bosses" where the selector shafts went through - I think these were changed either HD or HR.............

All Holden six bell-housings will bolt up to the grey (if I remember correctly).

for my 2 bobs worth, I'd stick to the grey box ............do you still have yours ? I would think you could re-build it........

There should still be many out there - they are a cast box/bellhousing with the alloy extension as opposed to cast centre section with alloy B/H and extension.

frats,
Rosco
Last edited by rosco on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

As far as I know all FX to EK boxes will fit although there are some design changes between '48 to EK they are pretty much all the same fitment.

Not sure about the little crash box that started in EJ and went to HR as to whether it will fit but I've a feeling it would require a bit of mucking around to fit??

HK onwards would probably need trans tunnel enlargement/modification as Rosco said.

I'd try and get a grey box to save stuffing around.There's usually a few on ebay at times but you would have to get it couriered to your place unless you are lucky enough to get one within easy travelling distance from you.

Terry.
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Stick with the FX to EK box and all will be good.
EJ (still a grey motor) have a different linkage set up
Better dead than red

EK, the VN of the 60s
hammondo

Post by hammondo »

Cool, thanks guys.

Now who's got a spare one to sell???????
Lucy Blue

Grey gear Box

Post by Lucy Blue »

Try Holten Spares 174 South Creek Road Dee Why
the had about 4 grey boxes last time I was there.
If I could think of something witty I would put it here
hammondo

Re: Grey gear Box

Post by hammondo »

Lucy Blue wrote:Try Holten Spares 174 South Creek Road Dee Why
the had about 4 grey boxes last time I was there.
yep he's got one for me, will go there tomorrow.

Thanks Lucy Blue