Fitment of a Gen III 5.7 Litre.....Can it be done???

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

camstuart52
State: TAS

Fitment of a Gen III 5.7 Litre.....Can it be done???

Post by camstuart52 »

Basically as the title stipulates.........thought about buying a half cut and transfering........i know not that simple.....what do you think???
(AUST)Mod
State: WA

Post by (AUST)Mod »

has been done to an fc over here :)
Craig wrote: Andrew you have a red so I wouldn't race it :wink:

Miss Piggy
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Miss Piggy »

Anything is possible.

It's usually your wallet/missus that is the biggest hurdle.

You will also need to factor in some parts on top of the front cut. (which should come with front suspension components, brakes, box etc.

- New floor
- New rear driveline/suspension
- Maybe a loss of the front bench seat to accomodate a large tunnel (especially for the auto)
- You may need a new sump depending on the front end you need to use. (it's quite a tall motor from top of manifold to bottom of stock sump)
- Chassis strengthening to meet engineering requirments
- Exhaust fabrication
- Mount fabrication
- Wiring
- Possible battery relocation for some extra space
- New radiator
- LS1 edit/software tuning

Then there's the possibility of the engine requiring work because it has sat in a shop yard for 12 months waiting on insurance investigations etc.

It's really an endless list. I'm sure there's someone who's done it before. They're pretty common engines/cars.

I say, Do it.

(all of this is my opinion and subject to public ridicule)
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

I agree with you that i should do it............lots of work i know.......but I`m a builder and will want a ute to use for work, and rather than spending 30 Grand on something new, i would much prefer to do something like this......its unique and adds some fun to driving!!!

Obviously its a project and will take a long time, but hey...whats the rush!!!

Anyone else have an opinion on this??? What might need doing??? What brake/diff/axle and so forth at the back???
captainbill

Post by captainbill »

As mp said cam anything is possible.An engineer will let you know exacly what you need to do.It is alot of work,thats what makes them good in my opinion.A few must do's is trans tunnel,firewall of some sort its a big engine,chassis kit,exhaust with cad/conv and all the pollution gear to meet the requirments of that engine,2 speed elec/wiper,demister,seatbelts,possable have to have a f/tank with return,duel brakes with a warning light,hr x-member you could probable buy set up from crs,battery in boot,radiator,handbrake,excellerater pedal,steering box will have to go,maybe a sump,diff and wiring would certainly need attention.I rekon you may be able to run a bench seat with a bit of work.Thats probable not eveything but its all i can remember.As far as some bits and pieces you need ive seen alot of different great ideas on this forum,you can ask for more specific info.A donor car is always a good option.A thought though an older chev or 308 could be cheaper and easier.But thats not what its all about.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Miss Piggy wrote: - Maybe a loss of the front bench seat to accomodate a large tunnel (especially for the auto)
CRS tunnel will solve this and allow factory bench and carpet if auto. Manual may need a notch in the front of the bench, which is easy to do.
The other big hurdle as captain bill pointed out is engineers.....

Nothing that can't be done though, go for it.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Miss Piggy

Post by Miss Piggy »

Give Kyle from Kyle's Conversions a ring mate.

He knows a hell of a lot about doing LS1 conversions into a plethora of different cars. He's not long done a Alloytec into an FB, and has done plenty of stuff to my EK to assist getting NSW rego.

Give him a call or drop an email and pick his brain. Be warned, he loves a bit of a chat.

Contact details are on the website

http://www.kylesconversions.com.au/
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

Yeah i thought about a 308 or a carbie fed 350 chev, but since I will be driving it daily, i want something that is going to offer a bit of fuel economy also. Plus this way power steering may be an option!!!

All the ideas of things that may need to be changed sound about right and was what i have discussed with my mechanic.

I`m quite keen on doing it.........something a bit different and practical.......do you guys agree???
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Doable I guess, how much do you think its going to cost though ???
You wont get out of it for under $15k, and thats doing
EVERYTHING yourself :shock:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

Yeah i think i know it will cost more than $15,000

I`m budgeting $30,000 for the whole car....now i know that sounds like a lot, but the way i`m looking at it is that i could go and buy a late model ute like everyone else.......or i could put the money into an EK ute which i can then use for work and as a good promotion for my future business.

I also will save money long term by only having one lot of Rego, insurance and running/maintenance cost by doing this, because i wont have a car (the EK) sitting in a shed......i can enjoy it everyday.

Also further down the track i thought about finding a ek ute/van that has been in the in a front end crash and using the tray area and fabricating a trailer, but thats later on.....just interested in peoples opinions on this idea. I think it would be fun to drive around!!!

So please tell me your opinions and idea`s!!!
Thommo

Post by Thommo »

camstuart52 wrote:Also further down the track i thought about finding a ek ute/van
that has been in the in a front end crash and using the tray area and fabricating a trailer,
but thats later on
I just happen to have the remains of a van that would be perfect for that. :)
And I should be finished with it soon.

Cheers
Jeff
Oldnblue

Post by Oldnblue »

I second (third?) the motion that you should do it. As you said, spend $30,000 on a new car that will hold no real long term value, look the same as every second car on the road, and from the sounds of it, provide you with very little motoring joy...or drop a similar amount of money building an absolutely kickass ride that will have heads turning everywhere you go, and put a smile on ya' face every day you jump in.

If I had the money to make that decision, it'd be a no brainer.

Go on...you know you want to...lol :twisted:

Plus, we get to see your build as you go.
It's a win/win situation.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Sounds like you've made your mind up!!!!! 8) 8)

First step though would be to talk to an engineer, before you start anything. Find out what exactly he will want done.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
captainbill

Post by captainbill »

Hey cam i just recently bought a complete vn statesman v8 as a donor car for my fc for $2000.May have over paid for it but it had a injected 304,good trans,brakes,tailshaft,fueltank,radiator and a heap of other bits i was going to use for the fc.Thats a cost effective way of building a nice reliable work car.Also can come together quite quickly with a bit of work.Mal is a fine example of that.
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

please don't take this the wrong way, but based on some of yor previous questions do you think you can tackle this it's a BIG job
as someone else said speak to an engineer and rego authorities as the engine size may be to big for the car
injected 5 litre is a fairly easy swap you get tons of power and economy, a mate has an injected 5 litre and 4 speed auto in an EH ute with 3.55 diff gears it goes like shit off a shinny shovel and he gets 10-11 litres per 100k's which is the same as my V6 vt commodore