Nationals Prep 2021

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Fex
State: QLD

Nationals Prep 2021

Post by Fex »

Bought time I got myself into gear and get the EK going and stopping. Im generally time poor when it comes to playing with cars so given I live just out of Toowoomba, this will probably be my first Nats and last one for a while.

The car hasnt been run for about 5 years. I played a game of Tetris recently and got it closer to the front of the shed. Just need to back out the quad and roll the jeep forward to get it outside now.
buried.jpg
buried.jpg (562.65 KiB) Viewed 1187 times
It didnt want to roll, so need to play with the brakes. Popped the bonnet and it appears the brake fluid has all evaporated....
resevior.jpg
resevior.jpg (546.02 KiB) Viewed 1187 times
Some tell tale signs at the rear...
leakage.jpg
leakage.jpg (445.42 KiB) Viewed 1187 times
Seem to recall the last time I redid the brakes, that the spring was a pain to get off. I hunted around in the shed for my trusty meco brake spring pliers to assist. Phaffed for 5 mins or so before I figured out I must have used them on the FX not the EK last time. Alot of stuffing around but managed to get everything apart.
brakes.jpg
brakes.jpg (575.5 KiB) Viewed 1187 times
Cleaned as best as possible with out pulling it fully down and started reassembly. Greased the rubbers and pistons and put them all back in. Holding the cylinder adjusters together with one hand i looked at the brake shoes and spring and then looked at the spare hand.... Figured this wasnt going to work but thought here I am, it might magic into place. Wrestled the brake shoes on and had a one handed go at the spring with the pliers. Not sure how, but the only magic thing that happened was an instant black fingernail with things let go. Time to rethink. I knew I had brake cylinder clamps somewhere. Brank new pack, didnt want to open them, but figured I have them, might as well use them.
cylinder clamp.jpg
cylinder clamp.jpg (664.03 KiB) Viewed 1187 times
I had screwed the adjusters all the way in to make it as easy as possible. I ended up setting one brake shoe in place and leaving the other resting on the actual adjuster ring/cogs. (as shown in the above pic). Quite easily got the spring in place. Then pulled the brake shoe out and over and into correct position. Had a reverse go and it worked quite well to remove the spring as well. Dunno if thats bad for the spring, but it worked well.

Still need to adjust and bleed but figure Im most of the way there.

Then figured I should drain the fuel tank. I never used to put much in so that it had less chance to go stale. So, cant be too much in it. More than a 4 litres ice cream container though.... :crazy: Alternated a few times between that and an oil pan. Remind me not to plant veges behind the shed....

A question if I can (sorry basic one and a few more likely to come..). Do I need to drain the fuel bowl or lines? The fuel smelt surprising good given its age. Given I saw 98 for $1.90 on the boards in town this week, I should have saved the fuel for the mower.. I just didnt want to undo the fuel bowl for fear of it not sealing again easily. I just dont get a lot of time to play so minimising risk if I can get away with it. Can I run it with fresh fuel in the carby and tank but some older stuff in the lines that will splutter and fart for a while till it comes through?

Cheers, Andrew
Errol62
State: SA

Re: Nationals Prep 2021

Post by Errol62 »

Not to hard to disconnect at the pump and blow back in to the tank if you are worried about it. Ditto the carb float chamber and pump bowl. Once it is back in the tank will be diluted with fresh stuff.

If it were me I would just crank away till it fires and burn it up. But I'm rash and lazy.

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

"Brakes are fun" - said no-one, ever :? fuel will be fine as Clay said , it will run the old stuff off in the first minute
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

The Litchfield clamp probably smiled when you took it out of it's packet. Tools is for using :)

Agree on running the fuel line/pump strainer contents through the engine (the float bowl will be stone dry).

The stuff in the tank has the open fuel cap vent above it. Some of the light ends (butanes, pentanes etc) evaporate out over time, making it sluggish to ignite. No evaporation from the fuel tank. The fuel in the tank is also in contact with oxygen. Some of the more complex parts of the fuel (mostly cracked components) will tend to oxidise, forming stuff that does not burn as well or gums/varnishes. A lot less oxygen in the fuel line.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Fex

Post by Fex »

Thanks gents, will crank it over and see what happens. Would I likely need to pull the plugs and feed a bit of oil in and give it a hand crank with the fan first? It’s been sitting about 5 years.

Cheers, Andrew
Harv

Post by Harv »

Pull the coil lead to the dizzy (so that it doesn't fire), and crank it over for 20 seconds or so. That will give the oil a bit of a move along. Idiot light should go out, fuel pump glass bowl and carb bowl will fill.

Replace lead and fire up.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

In relation to the fuel I have had a car sit for a long period of time and had it evaporate to a point where it become crusty and stunk like a tip after rain.

There is a drain plug on the fuel tank by memory so my suggestion is to dump all the old crap and blow through the fuel line with compressed air.

I have had this crusty crap block my fuel lines and carby that literally put a stop to a fun weekend.

An inline filter under the car out of site was also high on the priority list.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Fex wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:51 am Thanks gents, will crank it over and see what happens. Would I likely need to pull the plugs and feed a bit of oil in and give it a hand crank with the fan first? It’s been sitting about 5 years.

Cheers, Andrew
I would do exactly that, only because if you have a valve that is stuck open it will smash the rocker and bend the pushrod as soon as it turns.

I have had an engine do this after sitting for only 12 months.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Fex

Post by Fex »

Thanks Harv and Greg. Will try some oil in the spark plug holes first and a hand crank before I wind it proper. Have to buy a battery yet anyway and I’ll drop the oil as well. If I have any dramas I’ll take the tappet cover off and have a look what’s going on. It’s half glued on with blue goo so will leave it if I can.

Harv, only one clamp got to the party. The others are still packed away so I will hopefully always have 1, 3 or 4. Not all or none 🤞😁
E8F54F45-8770-4B08-811E-006E14359543.jpeg
E8F54F45-8770-4B08-811E-006E14359543.jpeg (150.75 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
Cheers, Andrew
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Andrew,

Did I count three Humpies in your garage photo?

Rob
Fex

Post by Fex »

ardiesse wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:19 am Andrew,

Did I count three Humpies in your garage photo?

Rob
Hi Rob,

current count is 5. I have a thing for utes... That will be the limit for a while. A wife and 2 young kids kind of put the brakes on things. Its a bit of a "one in, one out" scenario if i want something new.

My main focus/research/documentation is with FX/FJ army utes. Most of the research is from existing vehicles so have tracked down quite a few owners over the years. If you know anyone, Id love to, and can, chat.

Ive got all the gear and no idea (well not as much as I would like). Ive been lurking on this site for a couple of years and every time I read something about engine rebuilds, gearbox and things that cross pollinate to other models I try to capture the info. Quite often its written in French but hope to translate it when I need it.

Cheers, Andrew
IMG_1945.jpg
IMG_1945.jpg (997.49 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Now THATS a cool shed 8) 8) I would love another Humpy ute
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

I agree with Blacky great shed if I had one like that I wouldn't have sold my FC Sedan :evil: :evil:
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Geeez Andrew,
You’ve got a few projects there👍 A “thing” for utes is a good hobby / obsession to have :thumbsup:

Maybe you need to go up in the shed with a mezzanine and/or hoist? You could squeeze in more stuff?

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Fex

Post by Fex »

Thanks guys. Shed will get better when I get it wired up and get some lighting. There’s a mezzanine in the end bay. I’ve built stairs since this photo was taken. 4 cars live under the mezzanine.

I’ve got more than a lifetime of projects there so the kids better get interested!

Cheers, Andrew