Harmonic balancer removal tool

Need something for your daily driver or to finish off that project?

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FJWALLY
State: VIC

Harmonic balancer removal tool

Post by FJWALLY »

Hi All - anyone got one for sale or willing to loan out for a while?

Cheers
Rob
You will find me lost somewhere!
Brett027
State: NSW

Re: Harmonic balancer removal tool

Post by Brett027 »

Hi Rob, I have one you can borrow if you cant find one a bit closer first😀.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

Is the balancer that you have now the "grey motor" type one (with the large thread in the end of it), or the "red motor" type one (three holes in the front)?

The harmonic balancer that goes with your new pulley is the "red motor" type balancer. It has no thread in the end of it to remove. Instead, you pull it off using the three tapped holes (after you remove your twin v-belt pulley). You can remove the "red motor" type balancers with simple pullers from SuperCheap.

You will only need the "special" remover if you have the grey motor balancer. You don't need the installer - smack it back on with a hammer, using a block of wood as a drift.

Drawing below of the grey motor remover and installer if you fancy making one yourself.

COXHEAD TOOLS.jpg
COXHEAD TOOLS.jpg (35.23 KiB) Viewed 361 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

I have the grey type.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

The one on it Is the original Grey Harv - the one going on is the RED type powerbond
Harv wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:00 pm Is the balancer that you have now the "grey motor" type one (with the large thread in the end of it), or the "red motor" type one (three holes in the front)?

The harmonic balancer that goes with your new pulley is the "red motor" type balancer. It has no thread in the end of it to remove. Instead, you pull it off using the three tapped holes (after you remove your twin v-belt pulley). You can remove the "red motor" type balancers with simple pullers from SuperCheap.

You will only need the "special" remover if you have the grey motor balancer. You don't need the installer - smack it back on with a hammer, using a block of wood as a drift.

Drawing below of the grey motor remover and installer if you fancy making one yourself.

COXHEAD TOOLS.jpg

Cheers,
Harv
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

There is one on ebay - a re-made new one for NastyBitz but he doesn't love me so cannot purchase :ughh:
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Thanks Brett - hopefully one turns up - may not get to it before I go away mid march for work but hoping to be just about there by then
Brett027 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:10 am Hi Rob, I have one you can borrow if you cant find one a bit closer first😀.
fraze

Post by fraze »

Hi Rob, I have one you can borrow - I'm not far from you in Wheelers Hill. I'm the guy who you fixed up with a headlight bucket a few months ago. Call me on 0400356669 if you want the tool. Cheers, Fraze
mezzmo
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by mezzmo »

I have one you are welcome to borrow, i am located in Frankston

Don
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Thanks All - GPI put me onto a guy that had a few so I snapped one up for the tool box - probably never need it again but if I do I will have it - or lend it to someone and never get it back LOL