Broken badge pins

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

timbo.ambo
State: NSW

Broken badge pins

Post by timbo.ambo »

Hi all.
I recently had the front end of my EK re-sprayed. When he gently removed all the badges he discovered that a few items had once been glued into place (?previous owner) because the pins were missing. A few others may have had their pins broken during this careful removal, I’m not sure.

So I’m looking for a “special” badge that fits on the left side front fender, one that is in pretty ok nick (with pins intact, and screw thread behind the S) that hasn’t been re-chromed. Also a couple of chrome “///“ badges. Also a “D” that goes along the front of the bonet. If anyone has any good spares with good pins... thanks heaps for looking

Tim (Grafton)
Attachments
8290A46E-82BA-4C0E-8AAE-136C3AC8498A.jpeg
8290A46E-82BA-4C0E-8AAE-136C3AC8498A.jpeg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 559 times
timbo.ambo

Re: Broken badge pins

Post by timbo.ambo »

Re-spray pic
Attachments
247485C2-BDA6-499E-B4F0-173FCEE713D3.jpeg
247485C2-BDA6-499E-B4F0-173FCEE713D3.jpeg (57.8 KiB) Viewed 558 times
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Nice Tim. Bear in mind the boot letters are different and don't work on the bonnet. You can tell the boot ones by the neoprene seal rings around the posts.

I think a lot of people use the auto grade double sided tape to stick them on these days.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Rares do the guard slashes:

https://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespare ... ft-3-right

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Queanbeyan electroplating guys can put new pins on old badges. Don't know what they charge but I know they do it and they are top operators.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
rosco
State: VIC

Post by rosco »

I thought I put this up this morning... my laptop battery died...
If you are a modeler, you should be able to drill and tap the back of this whitemetal... and fit stainless threads into them.
I would suggest drilling out the mount holes in the panel slightly if doing this.. by a few thou.... that way, if ever you need to remove and refit - it's simply a case of undoing a retaining stainless nut... all the internals of these brittle pins are accessible...

This is my plan for when I remove my bonnet letters.

With the rear, I was lucky to get them off without breaking any - I used a very thin gasket of neoprene between the letters and boot-lid.. and Sikaflex 221 to put both the gasket and letters back on...

Further, I used a Dremel machine with a fine diamond bit to grind out drainage ports in all the letters.. see pic.
Poor pic, the chrome is a lot better than it looks in this pic - angle was wrong for the available light - but you can see the letter in place on the boot, the thin neoprene and the drainage port...

Pic -

002 boot letter mail.jpg
002 boot letter mail.jpg (121.16 KiB) Viewed 491 times
frats,
Rosco
rosco

Post by rosco »

These are original letters... then external ornaments on the entire vehicle are original.... some very harsh polishes used over the years.
Happy to report that in the past few years since using my current cleaners and sealants - none of the chrome, stainless, cad coated or alloy fittings have deteriorated any further... happy to post up what I am currently using to both polish and also seal all of these - if anyone is interested.

frats,
Rosco
timbo.ambo

Post by timbo.ambo »

Brett027 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:25 am Queanbeyan electroplating guys can put new pins on old badges
Hi Brett. You got me all excited! I gave them a ring and they do put new pins on old badges. However, they then need to electroplate chrome them. They cant just re-pin them. I really wanted to keep the original look of the badges. thanks anyway
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Makes sense - I suppose they silver solder them back on and then need to repair the chrome from that process.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk

Sucker for a rusty bomb
rosco

Post by rosco »

I haven't done this, but hope someone can tell me....
White metal and silver-solder.. does it make a sound joint?
I've always gone the mechanical join with white metal.

frats,
Rosco
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

The electroplators use silver solder to repair white metal before copper plate so it must stick.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sucker for a rusty bomb
rosco

Post by rosco »

Thanks Brett.... I might have a go at that... need a bit of solid heat for silver solder.. the real stuff, not the stuff from the big hammer store.

frats,
Rosco
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

You can just silver solder with a butane torch I think.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk

Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I've got a pin missing from my Ute tailgate badge as well as a couple from bonnet badges, N & L I think. I was thinking drill out and glue in some rod with araldite but you've got me thinking. Also have a couple of broken tailgate badges I was going to have repaired for the van. Might have a practice on a bonnet letter first. They're not so rare yet.

Any advice on a source for the push in style attaching spring tubes anyone? The tailgate pins can't readily be accessed inside the tailgate so kind of need to use the original style.

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

Any advice on a source for the push in style attaching spring tubes anyone? The tailgate pins can't readily be accessed inside the tailgate so kind of need to use the original style.

I got mine from RARES don't think they are just for FB /ek I think they cover a lot of badges cant remember how many in a pack but one is still floating around my shed somewhere. :blushh: :blushh:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY