Cam Followers

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

fraze
State: VIC

Cam Followers

Post by fraze »

WTB urgently needed, one set (12) new or usable s/hand cam followers for my FB engine rebuild. All 12 of mine are pitted! Can anyone help? Thanks, Fraze
FJWALLY

Re: Cam Followers

Post by FJWALLY »

Try Autosurplus in Nunanwading - he used to have heaps of engine bits and supplies a lot of the rebuilders - not ridiculously priced either.
You will find me lost somewhere!
fraze

Post by fraze »

Thanks for the reply FJWally. Auto Surplus is the first place I tried, but they haven't seen cam followers, new or used, for years they tell me. Cheers, Fraze
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

G'day Fraze,

I suspect that I have a spare set of lifters. I pulled an engine down some years ago to scavenge the crank, after I tore the thrust bearings out of the FB (at highway speed, a long way from home... don't ask :(). From what I remember, the lifters were OK, and I put them into a box in the spare parts department.

I don't particularly want to get rid of them, as they are my emergency spares and I have a number of projects that may need them. It looks like you are in trouble though, so I'll see if I can hunt them down. If I can find them, they are yours. I won't get a chance to look for them until this weekend. It looks like Number 1 Son has blown the engine in his VL Commodore, so it is going to be a busy weekend.

Please PM me a name and address, and if I can find them I will get them into the post for you Monday.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Fraze
Bloke around the corner has a couple of blocks I’m going to have a look at this arvo. I’ve only got three unmolested motors here but these ar both incomplete. Don’t particularly need them but I’ll fish the lifters out of one and send to you if they are any good.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

One block has lifters intact. Condition unknown. I’m picking motors up weekend after next. Needless to say I f you find some in the mean time grab them.

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

remember there are different lifters for different grey motor variants as well .....
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Cam Followers

Post by Errol62 »

Hmm.. purportedly FJ and FC. I didn’t check which one had the lifters. Too busy chatting about land rovers and Essexes. Presume Frazes motor is FB.

EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

. . . both of those blocks, if original, will have the "early" style followers. You can use them in an FB or later motor, as long as you pair them up with the early (longer) pushrods.

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

Yep, lifter and pushrod combination changed at FB engine B65280. More info here: http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=21480

Fraze: measure your pushrods and let us know the length:
a) early humpy pushrods up to FJ engine number 178123: 264 mm
b) middle series pushrods from FJ engine number 178124 to FB engine number B65279: 262 mm
c) late grey motor pushrods (with their own different lifters) from FB engine B65280 to the end of the EJ: 257 mm

If your pushrods are the wrong length for the lifters, I will need to send you both pushrods and lifters on Monday.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
fraze

Post by fraze »

Thanks for all of the help and advice. My engine is a late FB, no. B154003 and the pushrod length is 257mm. Harv, your offer is very generous and is appreciated. I would like to take up your offer of the followers, and pushrods if necessary. Mailing details are: Frazer Carless, 2 Cambrian Crescent, Wheelers Hill, 3150, Vic. If you could let me know your bank details I would like to pay for the items and postage, whatever the cost.
If I can find more lifters etc at some time I will make it up too you. Cheers, Fraze.
fraze

Post by fraze »

Hi Clay. If the cam followers you mention work out, I might be able to pay Harv back? Pls let me know.
Also interested in your comment about Essexs! I used to have a 1927 Essex which I restored back in the '70s. It was a heavy sedan with 2 wheel brakes- could be a bit scary particularly in the wet but I had years of fun with that car. Cheers, Fraze.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Followers are gratis.

Essex's are rather cool. Even Eldred had one, the Bungaree Bastard:

In (much) later years (sometime between 1936 and 1937) Eldred purchased the Bryant Special, shown in the image below.

The car had been built by Max Bryant of Clare together with Peter Hawker in 1934, and was also known as the Bungaree Bastard (Bungaree was the name of the sheep station in the north of South Australia established in 1840 by Hawker’s grandfather George Charles Hawker). The Bryant Special had two Essex four cylinder engines coupled together, a format that probably influenced Eldred’s construction of the Double Eight in later years. The Essex engines in the Bryant Special were likely to either the 2371cc "L-head", though potentially also the earlier 2,930cc "F-head” (both engine types were rated at 55bhp). The engines are believed to have been sourced from Norman “Wizard” Smith, albeit in single format. Smith held records for travelling between major cities and was an incredible autosportsman. He also worked for Dalgety & Company, Sydney agents for Essex cars around 1920.

In Bryant and Hawker’s hands the Bryant Special was driven at Sellick’s Beach (30 miles south of Adelaide) for the Sporting Car Club of South Australia’s Grand Opening Speed Meeting on Labour Day 1934. Bryant and Hawker also drove the vehicle at Buckland Park Beach (15 miles north of Adelaide). The Buckland Park Beach course was typically an oval lap, some two miles long with Hawker holding the lap record in late 1935. Hawker attempted to establish a national speed record in January 1935 in the Bryant Special at Buckland Park Beach (see image above right from the Advertiser of 29th January 1935), and held a novelty race against a Tiger Moth airplane (the plane lost due to headwind). The Bryant special was capable of 90mph on the sand, and could readily average 70mph over a two-mile course. With Casual Efficiency notes that on February 2nd 1935 Hawker attempted a national speed record at Sellick’s Beach, in the A class (unlimited). Being a flying start he crossed the start line at some 110mph, though a puff of blue smoke before the end of the course revealed that No.8 piston on one of the engines had failed. This effort was captured in Perth’s Sunday Times the following day. The Essex was also campaigned at the Sporting Car Club of South Australia’s first hillclimb at Newland’s Hill, Waitpinga in April 1935. Unfortunately, it broke a tailshaft and stripped second gear, reported by the press to demonstrate “it’s unsuitability for hill-climbing”.

By 1937 the Bryant Special was in Eldred’s hands. As reported in the Advertiser on the 8th of March 1937 under the banner “SPEED RACING AT BUCKLAND PARK”:
“Interesting motor cycle and motor car racing was presented by prominent speedmen at Port Gawler beach. Buckland Park, on Saturday afternoon. The non-appearance of E. Normans 'Bryant Special' robbed the car events of much interest. He had trouble with the car on the way to the beach.”

… and from the Advertiser on the 13th of April 1937 under the banner “SPEED METING AT BUCKLAND PARK”:
“Anzac Holiday Events
Entries for the Sporting Car Club events at the Anzac Day holiday (April 26) speed meeting arranged by the Southern Cross Motor Cycle Club at Buckland Park will close next Tuesday with the club secretary (Mr. G. L. Morris), or at the club's office in T. and G. Building. There will be two events, a six-mile handicap and a 20-mile handicap. Entrance fee for each race will be 2/6, and all competitors must hold A.A.A. licences. Minimum prizemoney will be: Six-mile, £1 and 10/; 20-mile. £2, 25/. and 15/. It is expected that the Miller car which was imported for the Grand Prix will be raced by its owner. Mr. Eric Morgan, and that the double-engined Essex car, previously owned by Mr. Peter Hawker, will be raced by Mr Eldred Norman. This car holds the fastest lap time ever registered at Buck- land Park. It averaged 71 m.p.h.. at the meeting conducted by the Sporting Car Club in January, 1935.

A post-meeting report from the Advertiser on the 27th of April indicates that tides cut the event short, and reports only results for motorcycle racing.

Damn... I'm easy to distract :oops:

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Fraze
It’s going to take a while to get these. They don’t have pushrods included and probably won’t match yours. Anyway I’ll grab them and see how it goes.

He has an Essex Super Six 221cui I think. Needs a carb for it (updraft) as it os current running a downdraft 3000 stromberg from an FJ.

Cheers
Clay

EK van on rotisserie
fraze

Post by fraze »

Fascinating stuff about the Essex fours Harv. Back in the 70s an aquaintance had an Essex four special which he used in !/4 mile sprints - always the quickest car there. Another aquaintance in Qld has a fully restored Essex four on which he has built a replica "boat tail" roadster body. this is a failthfull copy of an original, from photos, and the car is a jaw dropper. Mine was a humble 2.5 L six, but I, and the family, had fun for years in it, until I bought a much more powerful, and better braked, Dodge DA six. Cheers, Fraze