Rough price rebuild crash box

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Quaddy
State: WA

Rough price rebuild crash box

Post by Quaddy »

Gday peeps just a question on how much roughly it would cost to remove a 3spd crash box and rebuild and put back into my Ek. I've supplied the rebuild kit. How many hours labour does one expect
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Rough price rebuild crash box

Post by Harv »

Depends on who is doing the work. If they are familiar with early Holdens, its 2-3 hours to get the box out, 4 or so hours to overhaul it, and another 2-3 to get it back in. Could be done in a day, realistically a day and a half.

Depending on what the labour charge is, the price can be frightening. Have seen quotes as silly as $1500 though: http://forum.fefcholden.club/index.php?topic=23917.0. This would imply 10 hours at $150/h, or 20 hours at $75/h.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Quaddy

Post by Quaddy »

Is there anything else that I should do while the box is out a friend was saying might as well do the clutch. The box is defanetly needing a rebuild.
Harv

Post by Harv »

The clutch is not a bad idea. Could also check the front and rear unis for slop/wear - you can replace them without taking out the box, but given the tailshaft is on the floor, it's easy to check now.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Quaddy

Post by Quaddy »

Thanks Harv is there anyway I can contact you in this site or by email and pick your brains on my Ek. Private message or something.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Yep. On the bottom left of this post you should see my avatar (picture of a green FB towing a trailer). Under that is a small box labelled "PM". Click on that, and it will let you send me a personal message via the forum.

Cheers,
Harv
FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

I had mine done by Dinkum Auto's in Cheltenham - he replaced the main shaft - speedo cable connectors - all bearings and seals and cleaned and re-painted and will do the tune up and adjustment once re-fitted - cost was 650 and he supplied everything - had a new clutch fitted so re-using that.

I just had to get the box to him - Barry is his name and they do mostly holden stuff - he's been excellent and worked in well with my local mechanic who's been stripping stuff off for me.
You will find me lost somewhere!