Help

Club Runs, meetings and other news for fans of FBs & EKs in W.A

Moderators: reidy, Blacky, WA Mod

Marko
State: NOT ENTERED

Help

Post by Marko »

Hi guys,
wondering if anyone can provide a measurement for the distance from top of V8 trimatic dipstick to the level indicators at the bottom.
Also are V8 and 6cyl dipsticks the same length.
I had a coupla issues on the way back to Mandurah from the All Aussie day in Waroona, 1st issue was I sucked the sump gasket into the sump which created a pretty bad oil leak and loads of smoke, also pretty bad leak from the trimatic pan - i reckon there to much trans fluid in there. Hence why I want to check dipstick specs.
As for the sump gasket - very much hoping i can replace it without having to pull the engine out. XXXFingers crossedXXX
FBVANDAM
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Help

Post by Blacky »

647mm from where the dipstick bit goes into the bottom of the handle to the tip of the dipstick.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Marko

Post by Marko »

Thanks Blacky,
hey why would my sump gasket get sucked into the sump (just between 2 bolts), i would have thought if anything it would get pushed out.
FBVANDAM
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Marko wrote:Thanks Blacky,
hey why would my sump gasket get sucked into the sump (just between 2 bolts), i would have thought if anything it would get pushed out.
Sounds like the crankcase got under vacuum. Is the air inlet for the crankcase (either PCV feed line from carb or road-draft tube) blocked?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Marko

Post by Marko »

I didn't have a breathable cap on either rocker cover, just the PCV valve and hose to carby. I have now put a breather on the opposite rocker cover, you reckon that should do it?
FBVANDAM
Doc Bob
State: WA

Post by Doc Bob »

You got it Marko....PCV sucking air hard through the carb and no breathers to let any air in.....somethings gotta give!
Hope you get it all sorted again ;)
Now working @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fiddy-cu ... 82?fref=ts
Vice Pres FB/EK Club West Oz. & Just Cruizin Street Machiners
'36 Chev Pick-up
'40 Chev Coupe Ute
'62 EK Wagon
'63 EH Roadster
'68 F#*d Fairlane
'76 LX SS Hatch
Marko

Post by Marko »

Damn, wish I knew that 2 weeks ago. This build has been a massive learning curve for me, and its ongoing. Thanks for the help to those who commented.
Worked out my dipstick in the traumatic was about 27mm short - that explains the continual leaking I guess.
thanks again guys,
Mark :thumbsup:
FBVANDAM