Slow EK rat.

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

makntracks
State: NT

Slow EK rat.

Post by makntracks »

Hi all,

New to the forum and just picked up an ek sedan,
Will share pics and ask alot of questions along the way.
As usual i thought it was pretty straight, found lots of hidden surprises once i started to pull it down and have decided to bite the bullet and fix its once and for all.
So a pretty penny at rarespares later i should have all my repair section up in the new year and i can try and get the cancer sorted.
So far have. both sills, floor, rear quarters and bits of the inner sill. and 2 big holes at the B pillar and the bracing underneath them( have no idea how to do this???)

The plan is to remove all rust that i can find, will be taking most of it back to bare metal. KBS rust sealing everything and fishoil every nook and cranny once the repairs are completed,
Get it straightened out. give it a shot of satin black on the outside and a off white or lilac inside, and get the chrome gleaming..
Lower it a little and drive it... :coolllll:

Has stock rebuilt 138, all doors and gaurds are dint free so hopefully once the rust is sorted things it shouldnt be a major resto..

It is my first full build ive finished off a few projects in the parts but never one from start to finish so looking foward to it..

The start,

The move..

The wet season enclosure..

The rust......

The bit im worried about..

Any comments or help appreciated.
Im also in Darwin if any other members are up this way.

Cheers
Mick
Devilrod
State: VIC

Re: Slow EK rat.

Post by Devilrod »

Rust in all the usual places. Still not too bad. Mine was similar. Spend some time going through some of the build threads in members rides. It'll give you a good idea on how to tackle the repairs.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

Welcome to the Forum Mick. Everything is possible. Do one area at a time. Start with the pans. The underfloor bracing you might have to get some donor sections or new sections made up.

Stay with the Parisian Lilac...it's a great colour...but then I'm biased.

Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
makntracks

Post by makntracks »

Cheers for the comments.

Was thinking of doing the A pillar and sills 1 at a time first as the floor and its frame is pretty good apart from the B pillar base.
Inner sills are also looking good apart from a few little points.

The front subframe has been welded onto what is left of the A Pillar mount so just have to negotiate that tomorrow.

Also should the subframe just fall away once the 4 bolts have been removed or do the usually need a fair bit of persuasion.

Stewart, I Have spent the last few weeks reading your build over and over again, the workmanship and time yous put into it is first class if mine is half as good ill be happy.

I do like the lilac i might spray it on the inside..

Cheers
Mick
makntracks

Post by makntracks »

Little more done today finally got front subframe off and started cleaning up the firewall getting all that 50 year old deadener off it.

Can any one decipher the plate for me and possibly give me a year model.

Cheers
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Its an Adelaide built car , and is Parisian Lilac , I cant read the tag well enough to see the trim numbers ????
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
d1ll1g4f

Post by d1ll1g4f »

Looks like 976 for the trim which is Armada Grey.
makntracks

Post by makntracks »

Thanks for the replies, Was hoping it was lilac.

Waiting for Rares to get back to me with postage quotes on all my bits is killing me....
Been fixing the bits i can. Fuel tank out and started coating the boot in KBS rust seal. im going to do underbody and floors in it as well.

Few holes on the rear screen..
WayneXG95
State: NSW

Post by WayneXG95 »

Brings back memories ay Stewart?
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
ben
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by ben »

Welcome Mick....and well done taking on a tough job that WILL be worth all the effort in the end. Its not a great feeling finding more and more rust, but once you get a few new panels welded in you'll start to see that light at the end of the tunnel :thumbsup:
DOLLER60

Post by DOLLER60 »

G'day Mick- Good looking starter, a lot of blokes on here have started with worse!
Only advice I can give is lable everything in trays/bags from the cheap shop and keep chippin away!
Oh yeah and ask heaps of questions!!

Probably the best vehicle on this site was built in Darwin!
makntracks

Post by makntracks »

thanks for the comments,

Bit of a monsoon up here at the moment so hard to get working on my days off.. all my panels from Rares are on there way so now hopefully things should start to progress a bit better.

Just picked up a nice period radio, so now have 3 but this one has a facia ect.. also some S type Jag overriders for the grill 8 all up with fresh chrome. :whistlinggg: :whistlinggg:

Started on the A pillar. just trying to keep it simple will probly run a crush tube through the middle tho just to keep it all together.

Decided im going to go with a Lilac/lace roof and satin black outside and Lilac inside, that way if i want it back to original colour its not a huge drama.

cheers
Mick
makntracks

Post by makntracks »

Little more done before back to work. Uncovered these littel spots while wire brushing the other day.. a lot more involved than i first thought..

DOLLER60

Post by DOLLER60 »

Do a bit of pigging mick??
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

making good progress there mate :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.