Hydro Bonnet Lining ?

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Nibble&Sick
State: NOT ENTERED

Hydro Bonnet Lining ?

Post by Nibble&Sick »

Just wondering if anyone knows what the under bonnet lining is made of that came with the hydro's. My looking a bit ratty and looks like a fibreglass bat material but just wondering if its got asbestos or anything else nasty. Not that fibreglass is good for you!

Cheer
Nick
Nibble&Sick

Re: Hydro Bonnet Lining ?

Post by Nibble&Sick »

While I am on the subject. The insulation under the dash looks brown and loose weaved matt, almost like a natural fibre like jute or something. The carpet underlay looks original as well. I guess has asbestos (other then brakes and gaskets) been discussed on the forum as I cant seem to find any threads
Nibble&Sick

Re: Hydro Bonnet Lining ?

Post by Nibble&Sick »

Well an expert mate had look and tested the bonnet lining not asbestos. Mine looked original but not sure it was changed in its life. Seems cars of that period had a bit of asbestos in them here and there. Seems alot of the bitumen used as sound deadening in that period contained asbestos, So may be an idea to be careful if you are going to sand it off. Also seems JH sold carpet underlay made of no longer serviceable hessian bags that they used to bulk transport the asbestos in the first place but unsure what Holden used at that time. Still not sure what the matting is in the dash but gave a bit of it the burn test and it burnt hard and fast so I doubt it is asbestos related but would make an interesting time if you had an electrical short. May have to go anyway and used as a fire starter for next BBQ as it would work better then the commercial ones

cheers
Nick