Building 454 ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

454ekute
State: NOT ENTERED

Building 454 ute

Post by 454ekute »

Hello,

I am currently after 25 years of owning my standard build ek ute, now embarking on a ground up rebuild as she is a little tired to say the least.
Currently I have a 454 sitting in the engine bay and have a shortened XJS front end, turbo 400 and power lock inboard disc rear to fit.
Before I embark on any further chassis work or set up modifications I would like some advice form the forum on the experiences of those who have undertaken V8 transplants previously.
I am in Victoria and would like to understand if the 454 is doable with Vic roads, likely pitfalls and general advice please.
I will be engaging the services of an engineer once the basic concept and outline of work is complete to ensure I am on the right track before commencing to plough money into this project and this request is part of my preparation stage.
Any advice , feedback re walking this project through to full registration would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Size check - bug catcher will not be used
Size check - bug catcher will not be used
454.PNG (380.67 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Building 454 ute

Post by Blacky »

G'day mate, welcome to the forum :thumbsup: I would be VERY surprised if you can licence a ute with a big block in it while still running a standard floorpan / chassis kit type arrangememnt. I know Rod Hadfield has a big block powered van bu tit was built before all the engineering requirements were made mandatory. Harko on the forum here is building a big block powered ute and I think he has found a way around by utilising a toyota crown ??? chassis. I suggest you PM him and ask the question , he doesnt seem to get on here too often which is a shame as he has some cool builds going on ...................
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Rebuilder

Post by Rebuilder »

Giday,
That`s a heck of a mission you will have on your hands if you can get an approved Engineer on board then get it passed by the Road Authority.
I have only just finally placed the Mod plate (via QLD) on my EK SEDAN with many battles with various authorities and my Engineer for that mater.
My Car has 383 SBC, T700, 9' Diff, 4 wheel disc`s ,comprehensive chassis strengthening and independent front end. plenty of other items also had
to be certified also. 100 tlr alloy tank and the mandatory small stuff like wipers,seat belts etc.
I was told by many `It can`t be Done` under the new NCOP and this obviously was partly the intention of the bureaucracy.
My argument all the way was that it is a guideline only. If sufficient Engineering advice, certified components and competent construction
was utilized and provided, specifications outside the tabled guidelines could and can be used.
Definitely talk to your Engineer first and get an In Principle Agreement clearly documenting all aspects of your proposed build prior to shelling out the dollars.
Good luck.
Tony.
454ekute

Post by 454ekute »

Thanks Blacky,

Defiantly be building a full length custom chassis utilizing 100mm x 50mm x 3mm steel.
Appreciate you assistance !! :vecctor:
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

I'd talk to an engineer before you do anything else. I'm pretty sure you'd be lucky to get anything bigger than a 350 in one now.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

454ekute wrote:Thanks Blacky,

Defiantly be building a full length custom chassis utilizing 100mm x 50mm x 3mm steel.
Appreciate you assistance !! :vecctor:
This alone is possibly eough to push you into ICV (individually constructed Vehicle) which is a truckload more work.
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

yep find an engineer and speak to him first, probly the best person i can think of on here to contact and speak to about an engineer would be kiid61 as he is in VIC and is doing about the wildest build on here in that state
in NSW things are all over the place they changed the people that do engineers reports (not the actual rules to what you have to do) and now it seems you can get just about anything passed if you find the right bloke, as has been mentioned most don't use the NCOP as rules but as guidelines i've seen or heard of tubbed cars, cars with big turboed engines all being passed
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Rusty EK

Post by Rusty EK »

[quote=

This alone is possibly eough to push you into ICV (individually constructed Vehicle) which is a truckload more work.[/quote]

Won't be ICV as it is a production vehicle , came out of the factory as a EK Holden , but you will need a good engineer to suck up too :D
oldnek

Post by oldnek »

As Mick said! find a engineer and discuss all your mods with him, ask him what is allowable and what is not.
ICV, Modded Body, Larger engine exceeding the requirements, different engine configuration....................Who cares?..................it's The only person that's going to sign off the report and allow it to get through rego.

So my advice, possibly along with everyone else's, talk with the engineer and find one that is willing to sign it off and stick with him, if not don't pay him.
There's nothing as Sweet as a EK V8
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Rusty EK wrote:[quote=

This alone is possibly eough to push you into ICV (individually constructed Vehicle) which is a truckload more work.
Won't be ICV as it is a production vehicle , came out of the factory as a EK Holden , but you will need a good engineer to suck up too :D[/quote]

Had a mate cut all the floor out of his EK and start to fab up a chassis to suit, first thing the engineer said to him was it'll be classified as an ICV due to the massive change. So he went back to square one.

Rebuilder get on the vicroads site and check out the list of approved engineers and start ringing as its the only real way to know what you can really do.
454ekute

Post by 454ekute »

Thank you all for your feedback so far!!
I have contacted an engineer and am now working to program the build, below are some notes that you may find useful, I will update further re the specifics of the build so others will have a better understanding of the process and what is involved when tackling this in Victoria.

-YOU ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO FIT AN ENGINE BIGGER THAT 5660CC WHICH IS JUST UNDER A 350 CI SMALL BLOCK. THEY WILL APPROVE A SMALL BLOCK 350 CI ENGNE BUT NOIT A 454 (WHICH IS 7443 CC ENGINE) so that is now out the window ( currently looking for a 350 ).

- To change the front end to a shortened 1977 XJS front end = THIS OK SO LONG ASIT IS AGREED ABOUT HOW TO SHORTEN IT AND INSTALL IT!

- Install Jaguar LSD inboard disc rear end from 1977 XJS = THIS OK SO LONG AS ITS AGREED AS TO HOW I PLAN TO INSTALL IT!

- Addressed the structural integrity through modifying the chassis with 150x 50 x 3mm steel tube. = GREAT CAUTION NEEDS TO BE TAKEN HERE IN HOW THIS IS DONE TO ENSURE THAT THE VEHICLE DOES NOT SHIFT INTO THE INDIVIDUALLY CONSTRUCTED VEHICLE CATAGORY ( I will advise more once I have further details as this seems to be a mystery area at present)

Typical milestones are:

1. INITAIL INSPECTION, DISCUSSION REGARDING THE VEHICLE BUILD AND SPECIFICATIONS.
2. INSPECT THE PARTIAL BUILT VEHICLE FOR CLEARANCES, STRENGTH, MODIFICATION INSTALLATION DETAILS
3. INSPECT AND TEST VEHICLE AND EXCHANGE DOCUMENTATION- BRAKE TEST, NOISE TEST, EMISSIONS, HANDLING
4. FINAL INSPECTION AND CLEAN UP OF ANU LOOSE ENDS, SUPPLY OF APPROVAL CERTIFICATE AND FITMENT OF MODIFICATION PLATE.

Step 4 may not be required if the car meets all the requirements, so certificate and mode plate would be supplied at step 3.

Thanks again for the feedback Guys!! :smile22:
DOLLER.

Post by DOLLER. »

Good luck mate! Might have to change your user name :wink:
MyEKisdriven
State: WA

Post by MyEKisdriven »

naa..
keep it, it sounds way more impresive :crazy: :lol: :lol: :crazy:
Foundation member #6 FB/EK Club WA
Sydney to Perth in an EK ute ? no problem.
0424 364 840
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

-YOU ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO FIT AN ENGINE BIGGER THAT 5660CC WHICH IS JUST UNDER A 350 CI SMALL BLOCK. THEY WILL APPROVE A SMALL BLOCK 350 CI ENGNE BUT NOIT A 454 (WHICH IS 7443 CC ENGINE) so that is now out the window ( currently looking for a 350 ).
Sigh... damn I wish the NSW engineers would see it that way :( . No matter how hard I tried, I could find no-one who would budge from "the rules say 5647cc, and a 350 Chev is 5733cc. I know it's only 1.5%, but I won't approve it without full beam testing". A 350 Chev is a crap-load cheaper than a 327... don't ask me how I know :oops: .

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FATBOY

Post by FATBOY »

my engineer from wollongong will allow a ls1 into my fc vans Harv give me a ring on 0414712441

regards fatboy