Unable to select gears, please help!

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Jayman
State: NOT ENTERED

Unable to select gears, please help!

Post by Jayman »

Hi Guys,

I have an FB panelvan with a 179 and Celica 5 speed. It is my everyday driver.

I drove home from work yesterday all fine. Drove the car out of the garage this morning all fine, left the car running in neutral, closed the garage door, and when I hopped in and went to put the car into gear I couldn't! Car changes gears easy when not running. Starts in first gear but wants to creep forward. When I try and select reverse while the car is running it just grinds. Didn't have time to check anything this morning, just grabbed my wife's car and left for work.

I have done a search and haven't had a chance to see if there is fluid in the reservoir. Strange how this happened so quickly. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Unable to select gears, please help!

Post by Blacky »

Sounds like a slave cylinder problem to me , I reckon it will be pretty obvious once you have time to look at it properly.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Thanks Blacky, fingers crossed!
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Update to this problem.

Replaced slave cylinder today and adjusted the clutch at the slave cylinder. When I adjust it enough to engage the gears(when the motor is running) I now have the clutch slipping. I am pretty certain that I have bled the air out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks