Can't get my axel out

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Fishyweare
State: NOT ENTERED

Can't get my axel out

Post by Fishyweare »

Ok started to strip down diff to rebuild passenger side no problems couple of taps and axel pops out drivers side well that's another story just won't budge tapping away for hours to losen it up wd40 still nothing .
Any suggestions lot of surface rust around bearing , do you think a bit of heat might work or will that expand the bearing .

Ideas please
Cheers
Paul
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Can't get my axel out

Post by Blacky »

Get a slide hammer onto it mate, you can make one out of threaded rod and a weightlifting weight or something similar, even turn the brake drum around and put a couple of wheel nuts on and use the drum as a slide hammer.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Fishyweare

Post by Fishyweare »

cheers Blacky

tried those ideas today but after 4 hours nearly gave up on the whole thing . i decided to make a reverse pulley remover type setup with a couple of bolts and nuts and finally popped the bearing loose what a nightmare .after pulling the centre out now i'm not sure what diff i have no visible stamped numbers that mean anything to me , i counted the teeth and have 35 so would that mean i have a 3.55 , the main reason for removing centre was to replace with a 3.55 or a 3.36 for better highway driving as speedo always seem to run about 60 miles = aprox 85 km hour so i may have incorrect speedo cog in gearbox .
is there a guide to colour of cog to diff ratio used ?
Attachments
20131208_130858.jpg
20131208_130858.jpg (194.72 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
20131208_130721.jpg
20131208_130721.jpg (216.5 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (261.32 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

If it's a grey motor crashbox, then there are only two speedo gears possible. The speedometer driven gear unit (which screws into the casing) was changed from a 22-tooth unit in FX/FJ Holdens (part number 7405060) to a 23-tooth unit for FE/EK Holdens (part number 7405945). This will only make a 4.3% diffeence in speedo reading.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Sounds like a standard grey centre, 3:89. Turn the yoke and count how many turns you get on the pinion ring.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Fishyweare

Post by Fishyweare »

Devilrod

Sorry to sound vague but are you saying count the amount of times the yoke rotates to a single revolution of the pinion ring ?
So you don't tell by the number of the teeth on the pinion ring
Also I have noticed that the yoke has been welded on as well
Cheers

Ok just checked, yoke travels nearly 4 full rotations to one rotation of pinion so maybe 3.89 just unsure why yoke is welded on
rosco

Post by rosco »

Count the teeth on the crown wheel and divide it by the teeth on the pinion.... a calculator will give you the exact ratio....

I've answered your other thread as well....

frats,
Rosco
Fishyweare

Post by Fishyweare »

Ok cheers will check tomorrow and reply with what I come up with
rosco

Post by rosco »

35 crown wheel would have a 9 tooth pinion for a 3.89

frats,
Rosco
Fishyweare

Post by Fishyweare »

Rosco is it common for the yoke to be welded onto the centre ?
I thought that only if you were using a later model centre that this was a normal procedure .
Cheers
Paul
rosco

Post by rosco »

Paul - honest injun.... I don't know... other will.

All mine have been fitted with a large nut..... and - there is lots of information about setting "pre-tensions" in the manuals....
So, if I were to guess - I'd say "no".... why the heck would you weld something on... when seals have to be changed and pre-tensions adjusted.......

Perhaps the diff you have - does have a welded yoke.... perhaps it comes from something else.... I simply can't answer you, and feel that I have failed you - Paul.....

frats,
Rosco
Fishyweare

Post by Fishyweare »

rosco wrote:Paul - honest injun.... I don't know... other will.

All mine have been fitted with a large nut..... and - there is lots of information about setting "pre-tensions" in the manuals....
So, if I were to guess - I'd say "no".... why the heck would you weld something on... when seals have to be changed and pre-tensions adjusted.......

Perhaps the diff you have - does have a welded yoke.... perhaps it comes from something else.... I simply can't answer you, and feel that I have failed you - Paul.....

frats,
Rosco
Geez mate don't be too hard on your self lol. Failed no mate the knowledge on this forum is priceless and another persons experiences is like flicking through a encyclopedia
Great stuff
rosco

Post by rosco »

I just call things as I see them, Paul.... and for the 40 odd years I've been around these old buses - I should know better - but your question is beyond my capacity and I'd rather tell you that I don't know, rather than guess that I do....

frats,
Rosco
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Sure sounds like a 3:89, as for the weld. Bodgey repair at a guess...
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Sure sounds like a 3:89, as for the weld. Bodgey repair at a guess...
Half-arsed CIG locker?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.