5 speed conversion

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

iso007
State: NOT ENTERED

5 speed conversion

Post by iso007 »

Hey guys, i have a crash box column shift ek with a 186 motor. i can get a 4 or 5 speed box with adaptor plate from several sources. i know i will need to change the tunnel to the higher, auto type and i can get the rear gearbox support mounting from several places also. So here is the question. What is the most common or easiest way to strengthen where the original tunnel came out. it seems that the original tunnel has a strengthening peice noticeable from inside the cab. I saw that one guy has made up like a saddle of flat bar which goes over the box and then made his tunnel to fit over that. Is that the best. Or is there a premade unit available. or am i barking up the wrong tree all together. i have searched the forum but can't find what i am talking about.
thanks
Ian
Blacky
State: WA

Re: 5 speed conversion

Post by Blacky »

Castlemaine Rod Shop or Waddingtons will sell you a weld in enlarged transmission tunnel , you will need to fabricate your own bracing where you cut the original brace out , typical halfa job aftermarket bits :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
iso007

Post by iso007 »

ok, Thanks blacky. i was kinda thinking that was the case.
Ian
Smooth customs

Post by Smooth customs »

Dellow Automotive at Revesby are a lot closer to you, and can supply everything you need.
And no freight costs.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I wasnt aware that Dellows sold the weld in transmission tunnels ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
iso007

Post by iso007 »

Thanks guys, i called in to dellows yesterday as they are in the next street to where I work. They don't sell the tunnel or the strengthening set up, but they sell Everything else for the conversion and have been a really good company to deal with in the past. I will just make the support brace. I just didn't want to re invent the wheel.
Thanks
Ian
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

The tunnels are brilliant! it will save you time and money as factory auto carpet fits, for mine we made a piece up which went underneath to replace the similar bracing we took out.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.