Parcel shelf, rear wheel arch and arm rest trim

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Marty K Bird
State: NOT ENTERED

Parcel shelf, rear wheel arch and arm rest trim

Post by Marty K Bird »

Hi all, im currently fixing up my EK and for the most part the interior trim is in pretty good nic ... its type is (EK #1022 Viscount & Zenith Blue with Stardust Grey Bolsters 225). A couple of the arm rests need recovering and due to spending too much time in the sun the rear parcel shelf trim became a brittle mess as has one wheel arch cover.

My first question is , is this trim the same similar coloured sections of the door trims and seat bottoms?

I've read that you cant buy any of the original trims as a new item.... but i assumed most of this is because of the patterns that are embossed into them are not made anymore ... but for plain (non patterned) sections like the ones mentioned is there a similar coloured vinyl available anywhere?
IMG974.jpg
IMG974.jpg (97.01 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
Whilst were at it I should mention my front bench seat.
It has some probably fairly common problems on the drivers side with two sections coming apart at the seams but it also has a crack in the vinyl aswell.

Luckily the vinyl still seems very pliable and i was hoping the seems could be re-sewn and the crack perhaps being butt joined with a patch glued to the back and perhaps some stitches accross the crack (I know with the crack it wont be pristine but its the best i can hope for i think). Does this sound like a possibility??

I took the pictures i have below to my local upholsterer and (to thier credit i guess) they couldn't really tell me if it could be fixed or even quote a rough price until they have a look at it....

Any thoughts?

Cheers :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
IMG970.jpg
IMG970.jpg (76.08 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
:peaceout:
parisian62
State: NSW

Re: Parcel shelf, rear wheel arch and arm rest trim

Post by parisian62 »

Hi Marty
is this trim the same similar coloured sections of the door trims and seat bottoms?
The arm rest should be the same colour as the door trim.
is there a similar coloured vinyl available anywhere
Most trimmers will have a load of vinyl swatches that you look at and try and get a close colour and grain match.

Re the bench seat: The top and botton sections where the stiching has pulled away can probably be restitched. Not sure what you can do with that rip/tear though. But take this bit of advice with a grain of salt - I'm no trimmer. You really need to take the seat to the trimmers. Try and find someone in you area that likes the old stuff. I'd contact your local vintage car club for a start to get some local contacts.

Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
stinky
State: SA

Post by stinky »

Anything can be fixed...... at a price :ewink:

There are a lot of vinyls out there and I can usually get hold of something close to original if it is a solid colour, most other trimmers should be able to do the same.
Here's a car I did that matched the original colours fairly closely, just not the pattern in the vinyl.

I won't repair stitching in seat covers any more because I'll quote a price to sew up a 10cm section and then you find all sorts of other problems that you have to fix just to the repair. Also, unless you can match the needle holes EXACTLY when stitching you make more perforations to the vinyl and make it weaker again. If the stitching has let go in one area, it's a sure thing it will let go in others, the old thread that they use breaks down over time. Taking the covers off to repair can be a one way operation with listing sleeves deteriorating from rust in the wires and stitching letting go in other areas, these covers are wrestled on when new and the Vinyl is pliable and the stitching is strong.
Bottom line, unless your interior is immaculate you either need to put up with it as is or retrim.
Prices? Generally I do a front or rear bench seat for $1000 to $1200, stripped to the springs and frames, repair springs, repad and new covers. Covers only for one bench are about $600 + freight.
Marty K Bird
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Marty K Bird »

Gosh getting it repaired sounds like a.horror story lol...i guess you've seen a few bad ones

interesting what you say about the stitches needing to line up exactly otherwise theres more perferations ....might be better to hand stitch through the original holes??

Would love new trim but its not an option for me ...i have another seat that I can put in and make a seatcover for it that will do the job until I get mine repaired.

Id much rather original looking trim because to me anything else just dont look right....each to thier own I guess

Hi Stewart, thanks for the reply too man... Im all set to attend my first meeting of my local car club (Cootamundra) so ill ask about trimmers then and will suss a few trimmers out and see how I go.

As for the crack had a chat with Fingers today and he was saying I might be able to track down a peice of material from a donor seat to have sewn in ....sounds good in theroy...

Cheers
:peaceout: