Time to dust off my EK!

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Marty K Bird
State: NOT ENTERED

Time to dust off my EK!

Post by Marty K Bird »

A couple of weeks back I had a visit from an old relative who was keen to buy my old EK that has been sitting around for the past 20 years. He was after a quick buy and had $1800 cash to go... It was tempting especially to think it could get a good home....but I've always had a soft spot for it and have had plans to do it up "Oneday* ...but that day never came...

After he left i got into reading more about them and decided to check ebay to see what they were worth these days.
Found out some were fetching ok bucks and then rang a seller of one for a chat...i think it was Steve who i see posts here. Was a good chat, and it made me realise that now with the powers of the internet i can source parts easier....as Steve said...all the spares are available.
I also realised that i need to do the old girl some justice and finally start doing something with it.

For a bit of background on the car, it was purchased by my dad probably 25 years ago from our cousins in Canberra. Apparently the person they brought it from had ACT Rego of EK-1962 on it before they brought it.
I think it had an odd guard on it and the rest of the original paint was not the best so my dad did his own backyard panel beating of it before driving it to the local spray painter to paint it. My bro never got his license so i ended up buying it from him, got it registered and cut some laps in it on my p's. I think it just ran out of rego and then i got a HK premier and retired the old K Bird.

For the past 20 years it has spent some years in a shed, under a tarp, out in the elements and now sits in half a shed.

It's been started and driven a couple of times during this time ....but probably not for 7 years when it was reversed into its current spot and put on blocks.

I know it had at least one bad front wheel cylinder that i put a new kit in but it leaked again soon after.... and at least one of the wheel bearings needed fixing up.

At the moment I'm not working full time so I cant afford to do a complete resto on it that i think it really needs, but i am looking to clear out another shed to store it in and fix it up so i can give it a run every couple of months.

Also plan to prepare it better for storage and treat some of the surface rust it has in a few spots.

The interior is pretty good besides two torn arm rests, the kick panels and the back quarters pillar roof lining and it's rubber floor mat was taken out, floor cleaned and rust proofed and car magazine order carpet installed.

Also have another one for parts that we got by swapping what was probably a mint purple and white FB wagon to some "car club members" ...seemed like a good idea at the time lol.

So looking to see if i can redo the brakes and bearings and get it rolling again!
Think i might get four new wheel cylinders to start with... hopefully in the next couple of weeks..

Medium term goal is for a fix up paint job and a long term goal of a pull apart, bare metal restoration. I'm a photographer and would love to use it in weddings someday.

Looking forward to reading and learning more from these pages!

Marty ~

This is some of my cars.... have a 1976 Celica on blocks too...Also need to shed the HK before fixing it up and flogging it off to help fund the EK resto (the HK ute came from "The Old Garage" clothing store that was in the Belconnen Mall, Canberra.
:peaceout:
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Time to dust off my EK!

Post by Blacky »

G'day Marty , welcome to the forum mate .
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Marty K Bird

Post by Marty K Bird »

Hi Blacky, thanks for the welcome~
EK JAY
State: NSW

Post by EK JAY »

:) Good on you Marty for having the sense to at least keep it covered most of the time
you have owned it she looks like a beauty mate you sound like you have a good plan
to revive the old girl the paint doesnt look to bad maybe you can give it a buff fix up the
brakes and get it running and start shooting the breeze :thumbsup: :ewink:
EK JAY SINCE 1990
Marty K Bird

Post by Marty K Bird »

Hi Jay, kinda kicking myself it wasn't fully covered the whole time...it kinda was forgotten about at my folks place whilst i spent 10 years in Canberra...:(....but the past i can't change....the future I can do something about!

Woke up thinking about it lol....it's like meeting back up with an old flame!
Just came back from a more in depth check of it after reading the rust area guide on here last night.... all looks relatively bubble free but has one section near the back window/fin ridge/boot upper corner that might need more attention then i thought :/ ..... i guess the spare wheel well and some sections of the boot base will need attention too.
It does have a bad crease in the left guard from the front door getting caught and bending forward....but i think it should be an easy beat out once removed or replacing it with the straight guard from the spare car.

I used to keep all the inner guards and rust prone areas free from mud, and before i put it away last time I washed it and coated the whole thing with a large can of WD-40.

Checked the dipstick and it still shows full oil (very black), and the motor turned over by hand easily enough.

Looking forward to getting it out, giving her an oil and filter change and getting it running and into a shed.

Took a few photos with the good camera which i'll upload later this arvo.
wot179

Post by wot179 »

Make sure you give it a few real good washes with a strong detergent,and wipe it down thougholy with wax and grease remover before

you start any body work,WD40 could cause you dramas with painting if you start rubbing it into the surface.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elwood: I bet these cops got SCMODS.
Jake: SCMODS?
Elwood: State County Municipal Offender Data System.

W.S.C.C.A.
St Marys chapter.
WayneXG95

Post by WayneXG95 »

Welcome mate. :thumbsup:
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
bootlegger

Post by bootlegger »

wot179 wrote:Make sure you give it a few real good washes with a strong detergent,and wipe it down thougholy with wax and grease remover before

you start any body work,WD40 could cause you dramas with painting if you start rubbing it into the surface.
I had a car come in that was chemically striped at redistrip in blacktown. No matter what i did nothing would stick and all my repairs and paint fell off.
I contacted redistrip with my problem and the guy basically said i didnt know what i was doing and i was applying my products wrong. Evrytime i quized him about what they put on the bare steel he said that productjust washed off.
Eventually i contacted the bell ray rep who supplies this stuff. Turns out redistrip were thinning it out with wd40 to get more out of it.
I ended up leaving the car outside till it got some surfsce ruzt on it. Had it reblasted and then did the repairs. I am terrified it will come back with the paint falling off.

Btw good luck with the resto.
Aussie Bob

Post by Aussie Bob »

Great colour !!!

We better spray all our original paint cars with WD-40 then :ebiggrin:

Steve
Marty K Bird

Post by Marty K Bird »

In hindsight the WD-40 was not a wise move ...but hopefully it's all gone by now....

So my next question is, is there anything i should do to the paint so it stores better ....or just wash it several times with a good detergent as mentioned and try to wax the crazes before shedding it?

/
Thanks all for the welcomes ! :ebiggrin: :thumbsup:

Sunny Tim, that's an awesome rig and yes that's the same colour and how mine should look....and hopefully will again someday!

I notice it has no side mirror? Mine had one in the middle of the guard but i removed it.
vmx-mxr

Post by vmx-mxr »

Marty

An oldie but a goodie is a product called to T-Cut. It is formulated to remove only the oxidised paint and works a treat without damage. Make sure the car is thoroughly washed before hand though as dirt and dust left behind will impregnate the polishing cloth and cause scratching, same as any other method. After the T you polish as normal.

Kenco do a great product for HD cleaning including upholstery. Steve Jackson put me onto it and it strips grime out very well - called Kenco Shift It and most auto places should have it. Got ours at Auto Barn.

If you want details of a guy who can do a great job on re-sleeving and reconditioning the brake cylinders I can supply them to you too. He even zinc plates the parts and isn't a rip off merchant.

Good luck getting the 'K bird' back on the road

Dave Mac :D
Marty K Bird

Post by Marty K Bird »

Hi Dave Mac, thanks for the T-Cut and upholstery tips i'll look into it....
And as for the wheel cylinders that sounds interesting...I had been looking at ebay and rares options....but a bit pricey. Any info would be great!

Ok heres some more pics of my poor old wounded K bird.
The back left rear sill/boot corner bit looks like the biggest worry.....

Hope to get it out for a bath soon.

Image :thumbsdown:

wot179

Post by wot179 »

That looks like a pretty good thing.

Cool rocker cover..wanna sell it?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

W.S.C.C.A.
St Marys chapter.
Marty K Bird

Post by Marty K Bird »

Yeah used to look good all polished up too.... i used to think they must of all had rocker covers like this because the spare car has one too! :thumbsup: Apparently they helped em run cooler? They must be fairly common?

I would consider a trade later for the other one ....once i work out what bit's i will need for this one.

Will take some pics of the spare car today~
wot179

Post by wot179 »

I only have cash.
Please think of me first if you choose to sell one.
Cheers,Craig.

W.S.C.C.A.
St Marys chapter.