Removing Springs on a HR Front end

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Jayman
State: NOT ENTERED

Removing Springs on a HR Front end

Post by Jayman »

I would like some advice on how to remove and replace the springs on a HR frontend. Photos would be greatly appreciated as I have not done this before, but would like to do the work myself. I am attempting to lower the car.
Thanks in advance
ek amigo

Re: Removing Springs on a HR Front end

Post by ek amigo »

g,day mate I used a threaded rod to hold it all together while you undo the stub axles , then you can let it all come loose in a controlled way , be careful !!!!!!
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Theres a couple of ways to do it:
a) using spring compressors from SuperCheap, Repco etc. Not recommended by most... the aftermarket compressors are pretty flimsy, and are holding up a crapload of force when the springs are smooshed.
b) buy some threaded rod and steel bar/washers - most reccomended method. Do a search on the forum - it was discussed a few months back. Still need to take care and keep your "bits" (all of them :shock: :oops: ) out of the line of fire.
c) using a floor jack and a length of chain - old GMH service shop trick, and hard to describe without photos. Simple, effective but can scratch paint on newly-painted front ends.

Cheers,
Harv.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
ekstevo
State: VIC

Post by ekstevo »

This is how I generally go about it on hq v8 springs as I don't have the motor in the ek at the moment I put just 1 spring compressor up the guts of the spring to give it enough bend to allow me to get it in the grove in the wish bone the push it the rest of the way with the jack , trying to round up a couple of fat mates for some counter weights . I may have to cut a bit off the spring compressor you see in the photo.
I'm still buggerising around trying to find some spring insulators yet.
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Thanks guys.

Might be safer to get someone to do this.
steved57

Post by steved57 »

Jayman. it's a piece of piss. Use Harv's method "B" - a length of 1/2" threaded rod (Bunnings) and some large washers. As long as you're careful you can't go wrong.