ignition switch wiring

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

mason
State: NOT ENTERED

ignition switch wiring

Post by mason »

hey guys... snapped my key in the ignition and in my rush to take out the ignition switch to get the key out i forgot to tag the wires.... can anyone help in reguard to where the wires go... iv got 4 inputs (IGN, BAT, ACC and SO) and 4 wires... one comes from the fuse box, and one has 3 wires combines as one... if anyone could help with where these two wires through trial and error i can figure out where the others go...
CHeers
mason
im starting to realise why they call it an FB!............
rosco
State: VIC

ignition wiring

Post by rosco »

Hi again Mason,
Another 100 lines to come!................ I've been busy today...............

With my EK manual I have the following wiring.
I am of the belief that FB's and EK's probably had an almost identical wiring loom but someone on the forum hopefully will correct me if I'm wrong.

Regardless, I do believe GMH would have used the same relevant switches and codes in both models for this main wiring.

Before you start please check the following and please, please Mason - tell me you have disconnected the battery - of course you have - right?

The one wire you should be very wary of is the heavy guage red wire - it is live whenever the battery is connected - it is not fused, but gets its supply from a thermo-conductor on the lighting switch.
Supply to that thermo-conductor is from the B+ terminal of the voltage regulator - passenger side upper firewall under the bonnet.
Supply to that is from the main starter motor terminal which originates at the battery - I think you will appreciate why that red lead must be treated with extreme caution!

If your car has original wiring, the following applies.
There are four terminals on the back of the ignition switch.

They are marked

sol = starter motor solenoid
ign = ignition
bat = battery
acc = accessory (as you would be aware, there isn't an accessory position on your ignition switch, but acc in this case simply means that power for switch controlled accessories is supplied from this terminal). Supply to the radio comes from the fuse panel and is available at all times.

There should be a heavy guage red wire from the lighting switch bus which runs to the bat term of the ignition switch - this is the one which you must treat with caution any time you are tinkering around under the dash.

There are three grouped pink wires which run from the ign terminal of the ignition switch to:-

1/ ign terminal of the instrument panel fuel guage
2/ all three positive terminals of the idiot lights on the instrument panel guages
3/ coil positive terminal (this is what stops you car when you turn the ignition swith to "off").

there is a single pink wire which runs from the ignition switch acc terminal to the ignition terminal of the fuse panel - this is for back-up lights, turn signals and heater fan.
If you have a handbrake warning light, there should be an additional wire from the ignition switch acc terminal to the bulb of that light - control of that light is achieved by a spring loaded contact within the handbrake switch earthing the other side of the bulb .

there is a violet wire which runs from the ignition switch sol terminal to the small spade terminal on the starter motor - this is a positive ignition switch controlled feed to "pull in" the starter solenoid making main battery contact to the starter motor. It is only energised when the ignition switch is in "start".
(if you want to fit a kill switch, this is one of two ideal wires to run through a kill switch. The other is the previously mentioned pink wire to the ignition coil) - email me if you want more on this.

there is a brown wire which runs from the ignition acc terminal to the bat terminal of the wiper motor - this has an in-line fuse fitted which, on my car is clipped to the side of the steering column support.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse.......?
frats,
Rosco
mason
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by mason »

cheers rosco massive help

and yes i did disconnect the battery :wink: but thanks for the concern.
will have a look tomorow in the day light.
the wiring isnt original and doesnt have the original coulored wires but i can figure out which ones are which.
thanks a million

cheers
mason
im starting to realise why they call it an FB!............