Steering Column

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

BILLY BLACKARROW
State: NSW

Steering Column

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

I seam to be in the s##t again---Have a LX / LJ column torana uni's (All the usual stuff) but I don't have any clearance around uni I have searched the forum but with out any real help what has been done to fix this clearance problem in your cars.I have had to lower steering column through fire wall as well when I look at others they don't have to do this

BILL :arrow:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
Bigbird
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: Steering Column

Post by Bigbird »

To the untrained eye it looks like a job for a ball peen hammer.
www.drive1.net.au
www.thedrive1team.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/pages/Melbourne-Australia/The-Drive-1-Team/401541923693?ref=ts
Harv

Post by Harv »

Billy,

I got an LH Torana column to fit, with an SBC beside it. I had to wiggle the column in/out of the firewall a few times to get it to line up so it didn't hit either the inner guards or the block. My way:

a) take the two-piece cover plate off the floorpan (it has the hole in the wrong place for Torana column... learnt a few new swear words before I worked that out).
b) use the original "U" mount under the dash to locate the top of the column.
c) move the column in and out until it fits without hitting. You will have to support the bottom of the column by hand to get it to sit in place.
d) make up a new two-piece cover plate from cardboard, then make it in sheet steel.
e) fit the new cover plate (locates the bottom of the column).
f) cut the new intermediary shaft to suit.
g) bolt up intermediary shafts with new locknuts on cotterpins.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

Harv
Sort ove the way I did it but had to hit a few things with heat & hammer looking OK now
BILLY :arrow:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY