Am chasing a v8 fb-ek sedan/wagon

Looking for a new daily driver, the next project, or maybe a parts car? try here first...

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Morgan
State: NOT ENTERED

Am chasing a v8 fb-ek sedan/wagon

Post by Morgan »

G'day

Hope you are well. Am chasing a v8 fb-ek sedan/wagon. Prefer turn key and engineered, but am willing to look at nearly completed or projects as well. Would really like something that the family can cruise in on the weekends that I might take to the drags once or twice a year just to clean the pipes. So a good neat and tidy streeter is great, doesn't have to be a show car. Appreciate these mods and intentions may not please the purists but can guarantee it will be going to a good home (we have a bit of a collection at the moment, torana, sandman van, 69 fastback mustang - I know its a &*#@ but the wife has always wanted one!) . Also appreciate that these mods are not cheap and take time and effort (time is what I don't have at the moment with a young family) so am happy to spend decent coin ($20K + or -) on the right one. I am in western Qld but don't mind going interstate for the right car. I know these don't come up very often and have been looking around on the net a bit but thought you guys are the ones in the know. When building our other cars car club members have been fantastic help as I am sure you all will be as well. Thanks in advance for all ideas and help. Thanks again Morgan 07 4651 2334 / flourish@aanet.com.au
Aussie Bob

Re: Am chasing a v8 fb-ek sedan/wagon

Post by Aussie Bob »

HI Morgan, how are you going with your search for a V-8 EK?

Of coarse these modified EK's are easier to source in QLD and Victoria, than NSW, due to the tighter registration requirements.

Being in QLD may help your quest.

Hope someone hear can help you locate a nice car.

Steve
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

it's not hard to do in NSW, i actually am lead to believe it's harder in VIC and QLD :?
Aussie Bob

Post by Aussie Bob »

Really, then why are then ten times more modified FB-EKs come up for sale in those states?

Steve
CQatheart

Post by CQatheart »

Hi Morgan,
I don't have a V8 FB for you but was wondering if you'd be interested in a Turbo 6? I have the body with 95% of the rust cut out and the replacement floor pans ready to go in. Everything is in boxes and labelled and sitting in a dry (sealed) shed. There is a Castlemaine rod shop 1/2 chassis kit to go with an RB30T motor and 4 speed auto gearbox. Have the usual HR front end, a set of HQ discs and callipers and the VL Turbo Commodore disc brake diff and tail shaft. All the other parts like engine mounts etc are there as well.

I have everything to make a pretty neat cruiser except for the time! A growing family, work and study have put paid to my plans.

The car is located in Bathurst if you or anyone is interested.

Steve (o418 980 972)
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

Steve Jackson wrote:Really, then why are then ten times more modified FB-EKs come up for sale in those states?

Steve
don't know but it's definately no easier in those states, NSW is actually quite easy up to 330ci and this is speaking from experiance i've done it :mrgreen:
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Hi Steve, thanks for the post, sounds like a great project but I am really chasing something closer to turn key, I just don't have the time (or much ability!) to put things together. RE the engineering requirements my understanding is that NSW and Vic are more lax than Qld and its hard to get cars, even registered cars in other states registered up here easily and quickly. My engineer tells me you used to be able to get reciprocal rights on registered cars from the other states but Dept of Transport told me it is no longer possible. Motor size is a big issue with I think the limit being 300 cubes in an ek/fb/fj stlye car, limt is based on the original engine size x the dept's formula or something like that, not sure on the turbo side of things. Appreciate the postings and the interest from all. Cheers Morgan
southcoastkustom

Post by southcoastkustom »

SunnyTim wrote:I think QLD has the hardest regulations in Oz for engineering and rego of modified cars. I would suggest SA, NT and NSW are easier than here
Interesting :roll:
not too shiny thankyou.
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

would be good to have a national set of regulations, from conversations with SCK he's been or gotta do some circus acts (jump through hoops) but then other things i've heard from a SA member that's building a fairly heavily modified car, he just walked into a registry with some old rego papers and walked out with rego on a car that was in pieces in his garage and hadn't been regoed in years
then you get cases like we've been talking about with V8EK's car his car is quite legal in NT and has done 11,000k's yet from what i hear of VIC regulations he may not be able to rego it in VIC i know based on NSW regs he wouldn't be able to and this is just because he chooses to move from one state to another
then there's what austmod said regarding WA in the same thread as long as you've owned the car more than 12 months just waltz into rego office and get new plates
then there's the yearly inspections thing most here would keep there cars in good shape but i've heard some real horror stories of cars that are on the roads of VIC and QLD where there's no anual inspections one such a mates aunty in QLD could not open the rear doors because the car was so badly rusted :shock:
ozbumpkin

Post by ozbumpkin »

I live on the NSW/QLD boarded and have had modified 6cyl and v8 early Holdens in both states and found it is easier to rego 1 in QLD as you only have to get a blue/mod plate approval done for power up grades (not as strict as engineers certified). But hey there's no prob in doin them in NSW either as long as you follow the engineers guide lines. :)
ozbumpkin

Post by ozbumpkin »

Steve Jackson wrote:Really, then why are then ten times more modified FB-EKs come up for sale in those states?

Steve
I dont mean to offend by this question but,are you a restorer?
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

SunnyTim wrote:When Rex Banfield rolled up with a V8 EK
And its still going strong 8) 8)
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
V8EK4us

Post by V8EK4us »

southcoastkustom wrote:
SunnyTim wrote:I think QLD has the hardest regulations in Oz for engineering and rego of modified cars. I would suggest SA, NT and NSW are easier than here
Interesting :roll:
I'll second that "intersting" thought Matt. We have had many cars arrive in the NT that have been "Engineered and regoed" in other states and have been denied rego in the NT, the NT might be a long way away but the rules are strict.....
Mick Jagger

Post by Mick Jagger »

good luck
kmawic
basic.green

Post by basic.green »

morgan give bill a email with a number to ring you on
he sent some emails to you but did not go :roll: