Cam's FB Sedan

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Cam's FB Sedan

Post by Blacky »

Torana one would be pretty easy to adapt, especially if you are using a Torana rack. Some engineers (not all) will want the breakaway feature built in as well so you can use the standard Holden one already on the column and make a bracket to fit it up under the dash rather than use the FB column clamp.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
camstuart52
State: TAS

Post by camstuart52 »

Thats what i was figuring. Im assuming even if its a commodore rack you could adapt it to suit fairly easily?
EK JAY
State: NSW

Post by EK JAY »

Ht hg column will work aswel and you can keep the ignition on the dash instead of the column
I'm using a ht column shift auto one with torana rack
EK JAY SINCE 1990
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

The ht/hg use a steering box don't they? If so how are these modified to work with the rack? Is your Torana rack standard or shortened?
EK JAY

Post by EK JAY »

They do but it's only a shaft that go's from column to box so you just disconnect it and your left with the
Column ready to take the new correct length size shaft and steering uni's both ends eg rack end and column end
I'm using a standard lc Lj torana rack with some extenders I had made up to give me more adjustment on the tierod ends
Check out my thread it's all there :thumbsup:
EK JAY SINCE 1990
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

A little update:

I have been on the hunt and have picked up a trimatic with a b&m shifter, 2700 stall
Converter and transmission cooler. Also obtained a rack to suit the HR front end.

The search continues for a column and a solid 253 runner.

Rear end wise would I be better with an HR or Lc/Lj Torana due to the width?

Are there any tail shafts that will fit between the trimatic and rear end or will I need a custom job?
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Diff depends on the look you are after, if you want to run dished wheels then Torana, if you are going for the stock look then HR. Tailshaft length will depend on where you sit your motor so best to get one made to suit , you could have a HQ or similar one cut down to suit
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

Yeah I will be running dished rims so I figured the Torana rear will be the go.

Tail shaft wise I'll get made once everything else is obviously in situ. Is there any where to get some drawings/measurements of the chassis kits....not keen on paying that much for one when we can make one?

The parts collection continues.
EK JAY

Post by EK JAY »

I think I still have the plans for mine that I made I will have a look
Cost around $100 for the Steel cut to size

EK JAY SINCE 1990
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

send NoMad a PM, he might be able to help you out with a pdf of the bits required :wink:

camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

Soooooooo....who wants to punch me first.

I hadnt started the old girl for nearly a month as its living at my mates place temporarily, rock up....connect battery, slight amount of choke, couple of pedal pumps, turn the key and she fires up....purrrsss. I just dont think i can bring myself to rip the old 138 out when its running so well.....
WayneXG95

Post by WayneXG95 »

Then don't :wink:
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

if it aint broke dont fix it :wink:

FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

A smooth running grey is a very beautiful thing - wont make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck but will calm the soul!! I wont be messing with mine too much - maybe a coat of new paint to make it look new again.
You will find me lost somewhere!
camstuart52

Post by camstuart52 »

Well I've committed to the grey.....twin carbs have arrived, waiting on the air cleaners and extractors to arrive.

I have also ordered some smaller items such as new brake and clutch pedal rubbers which aren't here yet and chrome bullet centre caps which have which will look great. The big news is that the seats have been retrimmed and they look fantastic, not over staged but really nice. They were actually done in a marine vinyl but it's very very soft and should survive punishment well from the kids etc.

During some good weather I colour matched some paint and I have matched in some spots with the patina which blends it all a bit better and is less patchy than it was.....I really like the look.

So fingers crossed I'll get some time in the shed over this Christmas period and have it ready for inspection early To mid Jan.....really can't wait to drive her

Cam