Building 454 ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: Building 454 ute

Post by Harv »

Bugger... probably a little too late for me now. The 327 comes back from the rebuilder next month. Given the amount of cash I've thrown at it, methinks I probably should run it. Many thanks for the offer though - appreciated.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Mick

Post by Mick »

i doubt very much you will notice the difference Harv so don't be to down :wink: :lol:

yeah there's a guy out this way putting a 350 in an FC wagon (lighter than an EK) and his engineer is on side

if you are happy with how things are 454ute all good but i know of through this forum 2 FB/EKs in VIC being built one with a 350 another with bigger and they both say they have engineers on side
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
wot179
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by wot179 »

You can build a 427 small block these days if you are keen....and who would know it wasn't a 307? :shh:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elwood: I bet these cops got SCMODS.
Jake: SCMODS?
Elwood: State County Municipal Offender Data System.

W.S.C.C.A.
St Marys chapter.
454ekute

Post by 454ekute »

I have located a 4 bolt high nickel content block so will build a new engine from scratch for the project... this will allow more room for the exhaust clearance anyhow... you can build a pretty good engine these days not the same as a big block but the engineer has said nothing about a horsepower limit! so I can do what I like :smile22:

First inspection on site re build by the engineer next week so I will update any relevant data once this has been completed.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

454ekute wrote:I have located a 4 bolt high nickel content block so will build a new engine from scratch for the project... this will allow more room for the exhaust clearance anyhow... you can build a pretty good engine these days not the same as a big block but the engineer has said nothing about a horsepower limit! so I can do what I like :smile22:

First inspection on site re build by the engineer next week so I will update any relevant data once this has been completed.
I know of an EK sedan making well over 600 horses out of a small block and it can and has done plenty of miles, even 5 hour road trips. So good reliable power can be attaine without the need for a big block. Either way it sure is fun!
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
steved57

Post by steved57 »

and isn't that the ridiculous thing about the guidelines!
Harko

Post by Harko »

steved57 wrote:and isn't that the ridiculous thing about the guidelines!
Shhhhhh
Easily distracted angle manipulator extrordinaire.
bootlegger

Post by bootlegger »

You can get a 366 big block chev you know. Also if you want to go something really cool what about an early 347 chev big block (not sure it would fit though). Another cool engine 331 hemi or a 313 chrysler poly engine with sawtooth rocker cover. Engines outside the square buick all alloy v8 only 3.5litre and an alfa Montreal quad cam v8. Only 2.6 litre.
Ive got a 287 pontiac v8 race engine complete with six stromberg 97s on top. I have no idea what to put it in.
Harv a 327 shouldnt cost any more to put together than a 350. I just put one together. It cost me about four grand. I scabbed around a bit though. I started with a motown block, eagle 4340 crank and h beam rods, forged 11:1 pistons and 480hp dart styled alloy heads. Everything was brand new except the block.
The only thing that is different is the crank and pistons. Im assuming you have the crank. The pistons are a little more expensive. Everything else costs the same including machining.
Harko

Post by Harko »

Kid61 has a 348 chevy in his ek . Looks bloody terrific
Easily distracted angle manipulator extrordinaire.
454ekute

Post by 454ekute »

Hello Guys,

I have now met with the engineer and all is good re fitting the shortened Jag front end and rear, work has begun......!
Vic roads are going to clarify back re fitment of a big block via the engineer as he feels we may get it through as the ute is a commercial vehicle and may be able to sneak through due to the difference in body type weight carrying capacity etc. I will advise once we have the reply from Vic roads the 454 may change its description to a smaller capacity BB to get its compliance plate.

I live in hope, if not I have a 350 replacement and have had it confirmed trough the engineer that the horsepower output is not a factor.
Brenno

Post by Brenno »

I have approval for a 400 chev into an EH ute, my engineer sees it the same way, utes don't have a limit
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-06-11-12-19-09.png
Screenshot_2014-06-11-12-19-09.png (143.64 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
Last edited by Brenno on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brenno

Post by Brenno »

The VSB used to read that if it was the derivative of a sedan or wagon it needed to follow the guidelines, the new vsbs have different wording
He did however warn me that everything around the build now had to be so much better safety wise for him to pass it
454ekute

Post by 454ekute »

Finally got an answer back from Vic Roads -- The definitive ruling is as the vehicle is based on a passenger car chassis it is to be administered as a light vehicle and so the 350 small block is the largest capacity allowable.
Attachments
front end 1.JPG
front end 1.JPG (157.34 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
Shortened Jag front end underway
Shortened Jag front end underway
front end 2.JPG (144.04 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
Mick Jagger

Post by Mick Jagger »

the laws are crazy.and the people who make them
shouldn't they be encouraging us to build fast cars
so we can die before retirement?
more money for them..
they obviously haven't a clue
enjoying the build
kmawic
bootlegger

Post by bootlegger »

There realy is not point building fast cars. The coppers / nazis are everywhere now.
Better diving a mighty boy at 40kph and keeping the roads extra safe for the 85 year olds.