Firing up an EK ute - Hamilton VIC

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

newi
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: Firing up an EK ute - Hamilton VIC

Post by newi »

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Sounds like I am sitting on a good one here - which I guess I kind of knew.

History of the ute -
- It originally belonged to my great grandfather (will have to check if he purchased it brand new - if so I will be stoked)
- In the 80s it was passed on to my parents and it was driven daily up until about 1996 when a Subaru Brumby found its way into our shed.... The EK was driven 'now and then'. There were issues with the brakes and clutch sticking but the engine still ran like a clock.
- Ute was shoved in the shed where it sits today around 1998 (so it has been sitting for more than 10 years)
- The Brumby has left in favour of a BT-50.... and I am old enough to truly appreciate this EK and have decided its time to dust it off and get it going.

I am confident I can start the engine again given my knowledge and what I have read in other threads. But do you reckon I could get the brakes sorted? And the clutch? Or are these jobs for a mechanic?

In your experiences - are these things hard to get roadworthys? I guess its hard to tell without actually seeing the car.... I am cursing the old man as he was paying the rego up until about 3 years ago!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

New masters and slave cylinders, new flexible hoses , new brake shoes and skim the drums :thumbsup:

Around $500 and you have a new braking system and clutch hydraulic system. Fresh oils , plugs points leads and a new set of tyres and for a bit over a gorilla she is ready to go :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
1962ek

Post by 1962ek »

Far out man, great pick up, just clean it up , do the necessary work to get it regoed and just enjoy the ride. You'll get the looks and admiration of a bloody lot of enthusiasts so keep it original. Don't want to swap a WRX for it?
neatride

Post by neatride »

Hi and welcome, Wash it, new carpet take it to get a rwc should be around $75 and this may give you an idea of whats needed, awesome start, cheers, Nick :) 8)
Yes dear, just like you said. Theese are the words of an understanding marrige.
Patrick_R
State: NSW

Post by Patrick_R »

Does anyone know what happened to this amazing barn find ute?

Ric.