Firing up an EK ute - Hamilton VIC

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

newi
State: NOT ENTERED

Firing up an EK ute - Hamilton VIC

Post by newi »

Hi guys,

My first of many posts here I hope!!

We have an old EK ute that I really want to get going and drive around again. It was DRIVEN into a shed probably 10 years ago and that is where she has sat since.

I don't want to do anything outrageous to it - just clean it up and get it back on the road.

I am what you would call a car enthusiast but I am not a mechanic or a body worker... but I would be willing to give it ago.

All of that aside I am wondering if anyone is from the Hamilton (VIC) region that would be kind enough to give up some of their time to have a look at the car, see what it needs and share some valuable restoration contacts with me and a ball park estimation of cost. Once I get it on the road running again I will spend the time working on the body and get it all schmicko!! The only problem is that I am currently living in Melbourne and as mentioned - the car is in Hamilton.

It was running when we parked it up, it had issues with the brakes so these will need to be done.... The body looks good - but unsure what lurks under the car that could cause issues with roadworthy's etc.

Hopefully you guys will be kind enough to share some of your experiences so I can get the ball rolling on this one.
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Firing up an EK ute - Hamilton VIC

Post by Blacky »

Welcome to the forum newi - best thing to do is get lots of pics and post them up here , theres a section in body panel and paint that shows you where to look for rust , have a good read then check your ute in these spots.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

Welcome aboard Newi. You're in the right place to get some good advice. I'd start reading some the FB EK rebuild threads. There was a also recent thread in the engine section about what to do to get an engine re-started.

Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
newi

Post by newi »

Thanks for all your help so far.....

Get ready for lots of pics!!! Let me know what you think..

parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

WOW! What a ripper! 8) Just put some air those tyres and a quick clean of the windscreen and cruise... 8)

Seriously considering how dusty and dirty the exterior is I'm amazed :shock: at how schmick the interior is...esp for a farm? ute...?

Underbody looks pretty solid too. You have to get up under the front end and get some shots of the front subframe. Did you get any shots of the cargo area?

Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
tm 50

Post by tm 50 »

Love it, what a great piece of aussie history, man id be washing it and leaving it ,
ek61

Post by ek61 »

good stuff

like Stewart said 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

its a shame that you will have to clean the windows it looks so good just like that :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cheers dave
"THE JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES BEGINS WITH A BROKEN FAN BELT AND A FLAT TYRE"
***just cruise***
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Reminds me of the day I found my ute 8) 8) 8)

No indicators factory fitted on an EK ???? I thought it was only the FB's that indicators were optional on :?

Has Jacko PM'd ya yet ???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also vote for wash, detail and cruise 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Trev

Post by Trev »

It's a real great looking ute mate, wash n drive.
leinamoon

Post by leinamoon »

:thumbsup: but :econfused: ute has sat static for 10 yrs.. on it's wheels.. have you turned her over yet?
what should newi do first?
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Score! Looks great newii. As for what he should do first, follow the links to firing a car that has sat for a bit. Also check all brake rubbers and slave cylinders, flush and clean the brake system and that's after he's cleaned it up first. You'll probably find the clutch plate may be stuck to.
fingers
State: VIC

Post by fingers »

Looks good mate ........not much rust a first glance ..a great start to a project ...Where are ya Jacko this looks like a good ooriginal paint EK .......but I would get some Nasco spider spray on to it pretty quick... what everyone else said get it going , wash and clean it , put some tyres on it and drive :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .................Have you got a history on the car that would be interesting ................It wasnt owned by Malcom Fraser was it he lives down that way :P :P :P :P ...Fingers
Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?
my70wg

Post by my70wg »

looks good how it is!

just buff it and put it on ebay for a hell of a lot of money!!

aidan...
i'll get there....
choppedfan

Post by choppedfan »

It looks a real good project, good to hear you are going to bring it out of it's long hibernation and get it back out on the road where it belongs. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You'll get plenty of good advice from everyone here, just hope you post plenty of progress pics now that you've got us all interested. :wink:

Mick 8)
MeFB

Post by MeFB »

:shock:

Beaut ute. Seems to be in good nick :thumbsup:

If the front end is in similar condition, then it shouldn't be too much an exercise to get it going & registered.

I'd concentrate on making sure the basic safety items were tackled first i.e. brakes, steering, tyres & lights. The cosmetics can be a 'rolling resto' that you can enjoy for many years to come.

I'm jealous :mrgreen:

:arrow: :D
Alan
Member No.1 of the FB EK Holden Car Club of WA (Woo-hoo :D sweet!)