front floor pan

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Its_Not_Pink
State: NOT ENTERED

front floor pan

Post by Its_Not_Pink »

Gday,

I just finished replacing my two rear floor pans and now its time to do the front drivers side.

I'm not sure whether or not to cut around the brace that reinforces the top of the auto tunnel or remove it temporarily, of course. If I do remove it will the gearbox have to be taken out? Which is easier and what is recommended?

Any advice someone can give that has done it or knows how to do it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Gareth
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Depends on how much more work you want to make for yourself.
We replaced the front passenger side, Tunnel, and both rear sections of floor.
To make life easier we ground through the factory spotwelds along the edges and anywhere there was bracing (left all the bracing in see photo below), it is time consuming but makes fitting the new section so much easier. We also pre drilled holes in similar positions to that of the factory spotwelds.

After removal of the old floor.

Finished shot prior to seem sealing and body deadener. In this shot you can see the new tunnel aswell.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Its_Not_Pink

Post by Its_Not_Pink »

thanks for the reply devilrod

i know what I have to do with the subframe its just the brace that goes over the top of the tunnel that I don't know what to do with??

I just want to know is it structural cause i really didn't want to remove the gearbox to replace the floor pan. I'm thinking i'll just cut out the existing floor pan 20mm or so from the base of the brace and weld the new floor pan around it.

Cheers
Gareth
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Sorry misunderstood your post a bit. It is structural, we cut it out on mine and fabbed a bigger one. Manual floor now auto. Mind you we did it with no driveline in place. Try and avoid cutting into it especially if it is to stay.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
earlyholdenfan

Post by earlyholdenfan »

Hi Gareth,
I would be inclined to leave it there as it was to add strenght to the floor in the Auto........therefore the less cutting the better, and I would think it would be nessecary to remove the gearbox if you wanted to cut it out!
Just my humble opinion
Cheers
Matt
Its_Not_Pink

Post by Its_Not_Pink »

I wasn't going to cut into it just drill out the spot welds and remove it temporarily. then spot weld it back on after fitting the floor pan just to allow the new floor pan to look neater. I think i'll just fit the new floor pan around it and maybe neaten everything up when it comes time to do the "full" restoration :roll:

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers Gareth