Spark Plugs for the Mighty Grey

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Lucy Blue
State: NOT ENTERED

Spark Plugs for the Mighty Grey

Post by Lucy Blue »

Just curious as to what brand of plugs people are running in their Grey motors? :|

Are there some that are hotter than others?

Are there some that are good for worn engines?

how many diferent brands are available? :?
gordon

Plugs for the mighty Grey

Post by gordon »

My EK has NGKBP6S short reach Hot plugs in it, BP5S are cooler range, but I have sometimes a 'miss' on accelerate from slow speed have to find why this, the Vac. advance diapragm is gone on the distributor...
KLG 'Gold' were in all Grey Mtr Holdens thatI remember, Red motors AC
Oldn67
oldnek

Post by oldnek »

G'day Gordon,

NGK plugs are arse about face with there heat ranges compared to other plug manufactures, the lower the Number the Hotter the heat range.
So a BP5ES is 1 step Hotter than a BP6ES.
All the early greys From FX to FC took a NGK BP-4 or W10F in Bosch
FB to EJ Lists a NGK BP5ES or a W8DC in Bosch or W16EP-U in Denso.

Regards John
gordon

Plugs for the mighty Grey

Post by gordon »

Before I put that notice there I had checked with Repco Auto Parts the heat range numbers of NGK plugs and was told definitely and for sure the higher No. is hotter plug so Apols. to all if that was wrong? And if the numbers do go the other way I will get the lower No. (hotter)plugs for my car, reckon will fix the 'miss' in it, so thanks for that
Oldn67
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

Gordon and john,

Thanks for that info. Anyone know the correct ID for Champion plugs?

Regards
Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
fb cruzn

Post by fb cruzn »

i had champion plugs in my grey when i rebuilt it, it ran like a busted a$$!
until it warmed up it would only run on 3 or 4 cylinders! cant remember the numbers but i pulled them out and switched to ngk and iv never had a problem since :lol:
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

i wouldn't take any advise from repco workers if there anything like my locals
parisian62 forget champion plugs they are shit if you have them remove them and throw them as far as you can, if they haven't let you down they will
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

Champion plugs always had a reputation as a not so good plug when I was in the automotive industry in the '80's although from personal experience I never really had a problem if I used them. Most times I used Bosch or Nippondenso plugs in all my cars however.NGK and KLG are also good plugs.

I bought 200 N.O.S Motorcraft plugs to suit grey motors from you-will-pay about 12 months ago.I know it doesn't seem morally right to use &*#@ plugs in a Holden but they were cheap enough at 50 cents each so I don't really care as long as they do the job.
Agree with ratbox's comments on Repco sales staff.They seem to employ people with little automotive experiance.

Gordan, if your vac advance is gone on you dissy then you will have some problems so sort that one out too if you can.

Oh, and Ratbox....I've sent you a PM.

Terry.
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
oldnek

Post by oldnek »

I wouldn't use champion plugs if I had a warehouse filled with them, not in a car anyway, only good on the end of a fishin line used as sinkers,
Heres a little story:
Years ago at the time My Old Boss used to swear by champions, (and that was back in the early eighties) untill he started to break plugs when he replaced them, he continually blamed the plug socket being loose as the cause, untill I had convinced him it was the Champion plugs were the cause he soon changed his mind, he then became a Bosch and Denso man.
I only use the big three in our shop NGK, Bosch or Denso without any problems.

Regards John
smooth

Post by smooth »

You couldn't give me Bosch plugs. NGK, Denso, Splitfire, AC Delco. I use to swear by ......... wait for it.......... Motorcraft :shock: These were actually Nippon Denso and long before they you could buy Denso over the counter (except from Toyota). I'm sure Autolite were the same also - I do remember though &*#@ switching to Champion (Rubbish). So today I run NGK in my 308 and AC Delco (NOS) in my FB.

Seems the consensus is, go buy NGK's

Regards, Smooth 8)
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

Guys, thanks for that. I'll go get some NGKs.

Regards
Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer