Airchief speaker

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Glenhaych
State: NOT ENTERED

Airchief speaker

Post by Glenhaych »

I need help, I own a 1962 Holden EK. I have an original 12v Airchief push button radio but I do not have a speaker. I was wondering if anyone knows what type of speaker I need for the radio. Also if anyone knows where you may be able to buy one, it doesn't have to be original but if I could fit it where it's suppose to go it would be great. :?:
Cheers
Glen
thropzed

Post by thropzed »

Hey Glen, I have used an oval 200 watt speaker from supercheap in mine. Seems to do the biz. Any oval speaker should be able to fit.
Cheers Theo Z............
Watch for the early bird, He might be just getting home.

FB/EK Car Club of QLD.
Thommo

Post by Thommo »

Gday Glen
I think the only things you need to match up are,
the actual size of the speaker so it screws in, &
the ohms rating to match the radio.

Welcome to the forum :wink:

Any chance of putting some pics up of your car?
we love to see pictures :)
smooth

Post by smooth »

:?
Last edited by smooth on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rosco
State: VIC

Post by rosco »

I went down this track 30 years ago - the original Rola was shot - amazind how windscreen glass gets through those small holes...........

Got a replacement from Radio Parts in Melbourne - brand name changed to Plessey..........

Blew that one up during my youth then fitted numerous "sound systems"
Still have radio fitted but not connected to dash speaker - went down the track of fitting a switching device through a tape player so that radio could be played - that worked fine.

Would one day like to put an original back in - but must be 15 ohms as has already been stated.

There is a company down here who re-birth speakers - but at an extreme cost.

It was also pointed out to me that these speakers were at the time somewhat universal - they were also fitted to cabinet type televisions and radiograms (don't you love those "old" expressions?).

If you happen to come across one of these in your travels, it may be in your interest to take a peek inside -

more words than help or interest - I'm afraid........

frats,
Rosco
KFH

Post by KFH »

What is the model of the Airchief radio. This will be stamped on the back or side and is something like DJR or some combination of three letters like that. I may have a service manual for it. If so I can determine the impedance of the required speaker. As Smooth mentioned it is probably 15 ohm impedance although some radios in the 60's required 3 ohm. If it is a transistorised radio or transistorised/valve it is important to get the speaker that has the correct impedance. If not the you generally cook up the output transistor. Some types of these are becoming increasingly difficult to get these days.

Keith
rosco

Post by rosco »

Hi Keith,
I pulled my radio apart in 2003 and made record of the valve no.s and radio serial number
the Manual tune diamond dot has a serial number of JYO 23310, 52694 ..... ..

I would be interested to know if I can purchase a couple of "spare" output transistors for it................

at your convenience.

ps OS, but that POR paint system stuff is absolutely schmick - I have now purchased a number of their products and am very eager to submit more of them to test/use.....

frats,
Rosco
Dr Terry
State: NSW

Post by Dr Terry »

Hi Guys.

AFAIK all Air Chief car radios required 15 ohm speakers up to & including the HQ series.

If you use 4 or 8 ohm speakers it makes the power output transistors & transformers work hard & run hot. If you like loud music & turn up the volume on hot days, they will burn out if they are wired thru the lower impedance speakers.

Dr Terry
Glenhaych

Post by Glenhaych »

Thanks everyone, it's been a great help, hopefully I should be able to get hold of one with all the advice.
Cheers to all
Glen :D
KFH

Post by KFH »

Hi Rosco
I had a look through the service manuals and could not find one for a Model "JYO". However I have one for a "JYQ". Could you check to see if this is the model. It is a hybred radio with 4 valves and a single output transistor. Valves are 6ES6, 12AD6, 6ET6, 12J8, and the output transistor is 1138 (an oval shape with 2 screws holding it to the case and approx 40mm on the longest dimension.

Further to the comments by Dr terry re Air Chief (also Astor both made by EIL) and speaker impedances. Certainly after the early 60,s 15 ohms seemed to be generally adopted impedance for their radios. However around 1959 1960, 1961 a mixture of 15 ohm or 3.5 ohm impedance were used.

For example two models that were tailored fitted to FB's had different impedances. Model JYQ uses a speaker with 15 ohm impedance (service manual dated 12-7-60) while Model CJR-1 (service manual dated 2-11-59)uses a speaker with 3.5 ohm impedance.

Another thing to consider with radios of this era. Some Air Chief radios used an external speaker transformer for the radios. If the speaker were to be plugged into the socket designed to have a transformer/speaker combo there would be a quite rapid demise of the output transistor(s).

I guess it is the case to always be wary with any radio of radios of this era. After the Hybrid radios (valve + transistors) disappeared the impedance adopted was "generally" 15 ohms.

I hope all this is not too confusing. There is a chap just north of Brisbane who can re cone speakers, and I understand you can suggest the impedance required. From memory a few years ago the cost of a 6x9 was around $45 + freight. I can place the contact information on the site if anybody wishes to use it.

Keith
rosco

Post by rosco »

Thankyou very much Keith,
It may very well be that either I have mis-read the JYQ for JYO. I note also I have read a "D" as an "O" on the 12AD6 - my parents warned me that I'd go blind if I didn't stop it..................

I have taken the excerpt from my log book - this may more better reveal the correct model number - and yes I believe the output transistor is probably spent to some extent - I can recall plugging a speaker into that jack at some time - not knowing it was a pre-amp outlet............

this is the excerpt............

6/9/03 Removed Eurovox radio cassette unit.
Re-fitted original radio – JYO 23310, 52694 _ _ ?
Engraved radio base, rear and inside fascia – with personal id numbers - photographed for anti-theft purposes - held in "insurance" folder.
7/9/03 Removed centre fascia trim, ign module light, large LED, fan light and
auxiliary switch. Trimmed 3 mm from top Perspex radio station plate.
8/9/03 Opened radio chassis, blew and brushed components, removed cleaned
and re-fitted valves : from rear :
Outer left = Sylvania 12J8 Centre left = Miniwatt 6ET6
Centre right = AWV Radiotron 12A06 Outer right = Miniwatt 6ES6 or
6E86

and yes there is a TO-3 transistor on the underside of the unit - I didn't log the niumber as it was illegible........

frats,
Rosco (ex raccoon)
Sigs

Post by Sigs »

I hid my modern speakers in the dash tonight and when i lifted the speaker plate which is on the dash there was an old speaker still there, all wired up! When i say old, I mean it was old. The paper was still in tact but there was about, i'd say..... 47 years worth of dust piled up in it!

Anyway, if it was any good it wasn't by the time I pulled it out, but FYI the brand is ROLA. It has a red and white sticker on the back and was made in Richmond Victoria. I'm not sure if this was an original that came out with the car. It is a 6x9 oval speaker which are readily available at any car audio shop. The correct ohm's for the Airchief Im not sure about.
Good Luck,
Sigs
mmm, maybe one day :roll:
rosco

Post by rosco »

Thanks Sigs - yes, that 's exactly the first speaker I blew - can you read what the ohms are on the lable - often marked as an omega.....

frats,
Rosco
Sigs

Post by Sigs »

Sorry Rosco, the label was in perfect condition however it doesn't list the ohm's or omegas or anything, just a brand. I found a slip showing patent numbers however it didn't list anything either.
sorry, good luck.
Sigs
mmm, maybe one day :roll: