Tow bar for EK sedan please

Need something for your daily driver or to finish off that project?

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

avm
State: VIC

Tow bar for EK sedan please

Post by avm »

G'day,

I am seeking a tow bar for my EK sedan please. I am based in Melbourne, so am prepared to pay for delivery if your tow bar is beyond sensible driving range.

Hope to hear from you.

Regards,

Andrew
Project ICKPA.
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Tow bar for EK sedan please

Post by Blacky »

Do you have the means to make one ?? I can send you photos and dimensions of mine if its any help ??
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Sorry Andrew just sold one it did look like it had been made up, might be the way to go, the guy I sold mine to said he had been looking for ages.
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

I've got one here on my FB sedan. It's an old aftermarket one that I bought from Dave Pagano many years ago (first time I ever met Dave). I gave it a wire wheel cleanup, some coats of primer and then a few coats of grey epoxy enamel. From memory it has the rams-horn type safety chain connections.

I drilled it and mounted a galvanised wiring socket to it with the spring loaded flappy cover. The socket uses the old, 60's era pin configuration (from memory it is 5-pin round). I did that because that's the configuration that is on my box trailer. I've got the black plastic adaptor to run the 6 or 7-pin flat connector (that lets me put the car trailer behind the FB). The mounting bracket is easy enough to buy from SuperCheap to suit a flat connector if you wanted to do away with the 5-pin round altogether.

The towbar has done a LOT of miles and never missed a beat. It has no maximum load certification, just like all the towbars of the era. I follow the NSW RTA regs when I use it - if the trailer has no brakes, I can run up to 100% of the vehicle weight. If the trailer has brakes, 150%. I've towed a 750kg car trailer with an engine-less wagon on it, and many trips with a box trailer full of camping gear and did not manage to pull the bum out of the FB. It's also towed bike trailers and more than it's fair share of busted kids cars home. I could get a job as a test-pilot for Hayman Reese :)

Towing - 1960 FB Holden towing box trailer.jpg
Towing - 1960 FB Holden towing box trailer.jpg (880.34 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Towing - 1960 FB Holden towing 1962 EK Holden.jpg
Towing - 1960 FB Holden towing 1962 EK Holden.jpg (795.1 KiB) Viewed 216 times

My intention is to change the motor on the FB over to a Norman blown, Hilborn injected, Repco headed, dry sumped horror... on NSW rego. The car is sitting patiently in the driveway waiting for me to finish the FED (and the driveway full of busted kids cars). Realistically, I won't tow with the FB again - it will tootle around Greystanes (a pig to drive) and get leaned on once a week at Eastern Creek.

I'd be happy to pull it off and sell it to you for whatever you think is fair. I can parcel it up for either Aussie Post (might be a stretch depending on weight) or a courier. Sydney is a long way from Melbourne though, and you might find one closer. Let me know if you want to proceed and I'll sort out pulling it off the car next time I'm home.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

I'm guessing that a towbar for FE-FC will also suit FB-EK. It depends on whether the locations of the rear bumper bracket bolts got revised. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

ardiesse wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:35 am I'm guessing that a towbar for FE-FC will also suit FB-EK. It depends on whether the locations of the rear bumper bracket bolts got revised. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Rob
According to this thread, FE-EK sedan/wagon are interchangeable:
viewtopic.php?t=445

The utes/panelvans are... Aranda Towbars used to make only a single unit for them.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

More the length with Australia Post. They carry up to 22kg from memory. Sendle aloe a bit longer and tend to be cheaper.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Oz post limit is 1 metre so it should post OK provided its not too heavy ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

I had a FB plenum grill posted to me once. Towbar is shorter than that. Also had FB rear quarter and front guard trims come in the post. Maybe it depends on the post office. Good luck with it anyway.
Brett
Sucker for a rusty bomb
gledge
State: SA

Post by gledge »

I got a good one her in McLaren Vale if ya want it… been cleaned well primed and painted.. just in my way now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Harv

Post by Harv »

Photos of the bar. Apologies for not posting them via PM - there is a 500kB file size limit for PMs, and I’m short on time to resize the photos. There is a ball that goes with it.
IMG_1183.jpeg
IMG_1183.jpeg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 51 times
IMG_1184.jpeg
IMG_1184.jpeg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 51 times
IMG_1185.jpeg
IMG_1185.jpeg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 51 times
IMG_1186.jpeg
IMG_1186.jpeg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 51 times

Cheers.
Harv
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Looks almost identical to the one I just sold Harv
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)