WA fb special

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

In the Shed
State: SA

Re: WA fb special

Post by In the Shed »

Nice work indeed. Could you not just have an electroplater remove the chrome off your booster? Cost would not be high. Just a thought.
Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Apology Clint I ducked out of the AGM without letting you have a look at my brake master cylinder setup :roll: next time mate but by then you will probably have it sorted.
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
mph

Post by mph »

Errol62 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:29 am One car I ran speedo cable inside firewall and out through side of tunnel. Was a trimatic so made a hole to suit HKTG grommet. V8 cable is longer I believe.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
Thanks mate ill look into that when i get to it , i may be able to route the cable in the bracket once its finally powder coated and mounted for good.
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
mph

Post by mph »

In the Shed wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:48 pm Nice work indeed. Could you not just have an electroplater remove the chrome off your booster? Cost would not be high. Just a thought.
Regards
Stephen
I think by the time i do that get powder coated black and mess around with rod lengths and bracket bolts its easier to get the correct one, bonus today i found a guy who sells them in black and has the correct rod length and od spaced bolts to suit the hk offset bracket so will probably get that sent on over to WA and just bolt it in happy days.
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
mph

Post by mph »

FireKraka wrote:Apology Clint I ducked out of the AGM without letting you have a look at my brake master cylinder setup :roll: next time mate but by then you will probably have it sorted.
Neil
Sorry mate just realised my reply didn't post. All good mate will catch up next time.
Your Ute looked real good rolling through the hills.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Looking good Clint. Bit further ahead than I am. Things have slowed again due to yet another lockdown…. I did look at the holes in my bracket and it appears some one drilled extras to make it 85 x 85.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
mph

Post by mph »

A few items arrived I ended up ordering a hk booster to suit the offset bracket from a guy over east knowledgeable guy on old holden parts. He said short shaft suits the hk offset bracket and odd spaced bolts the others suit late hk and htg with long shaft.
I orderd a plain looking master cyl 1" I didn't want a new smooth top lid. They look nicer but not the look I'm after.
I can't test the booster fitment as its off at the sand blasters with my new steelies so will have to wait for next week.Image

FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

So I’m assuming that’s a 7” dual diaphragm booster? Got contact details of where you ordered it from?
mph

Post by mph »

Devilrod wrote:So I’m assuming that’s a 7” dual diaphragm booster? Got contact details of where you ordered it from?
https://dsmmotorsport.com.au/collection ... r-8-inch-1

Your best speaking to James not Susan Image. I asked for the short shaft type and in black. James said they are a direct replacement so will see how i go once i get the bracket back from the powder coaters.
That have a few types of master cyl including a std type replacement but the std type replacement can be found cheaper on eBay. Image

FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

mph wrote:
Devilrod wrote:So I’m assuming that’s a 7” dual diaphragm booster? Got contact details of where you ordered it from?
https://dsmmotorsport.com.au/collection ... r-8-inch-1

Your best speaking to James not Susan Image. I asked for the short shaft type and in black. James said they are a direct replacement so will see how i go once i get the bracket back from the powder coaters.
That have a few types of master cyl including a std type replacement but the std type replacement can be found cheaper on eBay. Image

Image thanks Clint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

These photos may be helpful, from a restored 186s HK GTS.ImageImageImage

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
mph

Post by mph »

Thanks mate, i believe that to be the later HK bracket as its not a offset to the side.

FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
mph

Post by mph »

I've picked up the hk booster bracket looks the goods and fitted the booster up seems the perfect fit. I forgot about the booster bracket swivel bar thing to drop it off when the rest was powder coated doh.
Then next issue is the generic gm master cylinder I ordered has a short bore and seems i need a long bore as the shaft on the booster is 38mm long compared to the chrome booster I have had a shaft about 8mm long . Ive called a few places seems hard the correct one. Spoke to one bloke said a hq master has a long bore of 25mm which may work. Looking at after market hktg masters they have a shallow bore.
If I use a hq master they used a proportional I'm told where as hk didn't, will this affect the size of the rear drum brake cylinders. ImageImageImageImageImage

FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
mph

Post by mph »

I making a spare rim for the fb but off set has to suit lj diff but not to much poke to hit the front fender so im going to flip a std hg 5" rim and playing with another 7" rim Ive had a crack at running a rim true on a half hr diff and cut down axel it's quite the task. You did well Errol with your steeli, im taking the centers and a cut down axel to work one of the machinest is going to lathe the back lips down even ,I couldn't get it bang on with a little grinder. Then use a dial gauge for when put the centers in the band's ,im not sure how much tolerance you can have before issues.
One rim I had to grind through the back and just welded the slit back up found two air leaks but all sorted.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Good work Clint. I know what you mean about the spare as I have a torana diff also in my ute. Fortunately the reverse stock ht rims I was running on the front work pretty well on the LC rear, and don't rub too much on the front.

Yes it's going to be interesting when I get some tyres on mine and get them up to speed I think.

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie