Clay’s Wedgewood Blue FB Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

rosco
State: VIC

Re: Clay’s Wedgewood Blue FB Ute

Post by rosco »

Nice, Clay..... don't rush this..... you have to sit on your hands if it simply isn't right.. or - you'll be back with the block again.....
There are 365 1/4 days in any calendar year (average).... you only need the right "one" to lay down your colour... sit it out until "that" day fronts up....
And, I might further add - don't put yourself under any pressure.... make sure you don't have any appointments or commitments post spraying....
I've been hit with that stick.... "rush" it is often worse than "stuff it".... and you end up with your gear all rush cleaned....

I'm fastidious about cleaning my gear.. especially my guns... I never loan them.. every session, they get a full strip and put back into storage... every working part comes off, is cleaned and oiled - then wrapped in oil cloth and stored away... respect your gun - and it will respect you....

frats,
Rosco
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

The dash was affected by my dry paint fiasco but came up good with some work.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
gpi

Post by gpi »

:heartt: :!:
rosco

Post by rosco »

You might regret that gloss, Clay - more so that it is a light colour...
However, the abrupt angle of our windscreens may not give the same amount of reflection that modern cars do with a much lower angle of attack...

Looks schmick.. great finish... you must be happy with that?

frats,
Rosco
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I cheated and took the shot when I had just squirted it with the hose boys. Wet rub with 400 as recommended by Steve, my paint guru. The TDS actually says 600 wet. If I have to put more primer then scuff with 240.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Dash and engine bay etc will be standard, flattened dulon clinker grey. How ever many coats I can get out of one litre of paint. Column and hunny pot are undecided. I find the factory grey pretty dull. Possibly body colour, or I have a one shot 2k silver metallic I got for the tank. Will see how it looks on the tank before deciding. Head lining side trims also undecided.

I went and saw the trimmer and took him the random star vinyl and two visors to recover. He has had the original head lining sitting under his bench for a year or so since I got the seat done. Two months he says, which will work ok for me.

EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Semi gloss or gloss black looks good on column and I agree body colour for honey pot works well Image

You’ll find me lost somewhere!
You will find me lost somewhere!
rosco

Post by rosco »

Errol62 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:52 pm I cheated and took the shot when I had just squirted it with the hose boys. Wet rub with 400 as recommended by Steve, my paint guru. The TDS actually says 600 wet. If I have to put more primer then scuff with 240.

Hmmmm - I'm going to have to keep my eye on your now, Clay - trickster.... and canary smuggler...

frats,
Rosco
rosco

Post by rosco »

Roger Hancock (holdenrestoman) reconditioned my steering box... I told him I'd take care of painting the column and honeypot...
He told me that he uses an aerosol from Bunnings.. can't remember what the brand is, think it might have been "Monarch".. but the colour is "monument"... it's a lovely olive/grey satin with perhaps 20% more gloss than the usual satin... it came up a treat.

He told me to spray the lower section between the cabin side frame and the floor black.... the frame being the mask... and monument again from the floor to the steering box..

I am very happy with the result...

Your car, your choice - that's what makes each of our cars interesting to look at....

With your permission - I'll pop a pic of it in here - when I find it....

frats,
Rosco
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Please do Rosco

EK van on rotisserie
rosco

Post by rosco »

Tomorrow, Clay - well, actually today - yesterday was my birthday.... spent two hours of the end of it putting up my Godzilla post in the slot car thread....

frats,
Rosco
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Good stuff Clay !!!

Iv'e given up on my painting for the moment. I started to smell some stale air in my mask so decided to change my filters. Well that's put me out of action !!!!
The Chinese desiccant filter I bought 2 years ago for quite a hefty price is all rusted inside with the desiccant completely saturated with water while the so call indicator says its ok ! To top it off the slime bags who put it together (whether here or there) only half filled it and to make things worse half of that was with pebble !! I am going to say it was there at initial fill as the theme seems to be going that way at present. Got to stop buying this crap but its just so hard to find anything that's not made there.

The good news is my seats and trim are off to the upholsterer today so I can tick that box off.

Anyway the ute is looking good.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Cheers Greg. I’m using an unassisted mask with activated charcoal cartridges. They last about a month and are $40 a pop. When the charcoal is tired you can taste the paint. Weather is hovering on the verge of acceptability at 20C and 60%rh so we will see.

Expecting a visit today from el presidente Roger, so might not be much happening. Got a new surfboard for his wagon needs some repair. With polyester resin you just ad a bit more methyl ethyl ketone peroxide, or hardner, catylist to make up for temperature. Some times results in a hot mix, had fun with this when I was young.

EK van on rotisserie
rosco

Post by rosco »

Yes Clay - 60% would have me pack my gear away... the 20C is borderline, but if the air was drier, I'd probably go ahead.
In Adelaide, you get drier air than we do over here in Melbourne.. we are in the outer east and at the foothills of Mt Dandenong... and not too far from the Yarra Valley.... the air gets very "heavy" out here - I'm almost convinced "spray season" is over until late Spring... might get an occasional day, but it's not worth leaving anything rubbed back and exposed for long spells waiting for "that" day...
I'm not savvy with Adelaide, but do understand you are much further north and have that great open centre of Oz to bring down warm and dry air.... we only get the leftovers from anything the other side of the Murray at this time of year....

frats,
Rosco
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Would be nice to get something impermeable on it before the big wet sets in, if it does. Although having the 2k etch underneath gives some assurance.

EK van on rotisserie