Fitting Outer sill

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Orange Betty
State: NSW

Fitting Outer sill

Post by Orange Betty »

Hi all, first rough fit of left hand outer sill (rare spares) ok. It's not going up into the B pillar as far as it should and was a bugger just to get in that far!
Outer first fit.JPG
Outer first fit.JPG (35.29 KiB) Viewed 265 times
The gap to the inner sill is fine B pillar back but increasing B pillar forward.
But my question is how the outer sill sits relative to the top lip of the inner? The Ken McLean diagram below suggests it doesn't even touch but is just joined to the floor pan.
sill x section.JPG
sill x section.JPG (25.63 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Cheers
Dave
62 EK Sedan in slow progress
Errol62
State: SA

Re: Fitting Outer sill

Post by Errol62 »

That’s correct Dave. Said this before. Hang the doors and align outer sill to them. Bracing is all very well assuming doors fit well in the first place. Quite a few times I’ve seen people fit new siils then find the door bottoms over hang by 10mm.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

Errol62 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:07 pm That’s correct Dave. Said this before. Hang the doors and align outer sill to them. Bracing is all very well assuming doors fit well in the first place. Quite a few times I’ve seen people fit new siils then find the door bottoms over hang by 10mm.

Thanks Errol. So if I understand correctly, as the outer sill only attaches to the floor, not the top lip of the inner sill, when you align the sill to the door you have to also align the floor pan to suit?

Cheers
Dave
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

If matching to original floor pan then just massage the vertical edge of pan. If installing a replacement floor section you should match it to the remnants of the existing floor. Then massage the vertical seam to match the sill as above. Nothing will fit perfectly when mixing after market, donor and original panels.

EK van on rotisserie
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

Errol62 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:09 pm If matching to original floor pan then just massage the vertical edge of pan. If installing a replacement floor section you should match it to the remnants of the existing floor. Then massage the vertical seam to match the sill as above. Nothing will fit perfectly when mixing after market, donor and original panels.

Thanks Clay (not Errol - my apologies), that is good advice. And thanks for staying up late to provide it! :thumbsup:

Dave
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

No worries Dave
Looking forward to following your progress.
Cheers
Clay

EK van on rotisserie