Commercial fuel tank filler neck fit

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I’m trying to re-fit the fuel tank in my ute. When I got the car the tank was held in by two rough angle iron cross members and the neck seemed to be sticking a little far out from the guard. It seemed that the tank was sitting 20mm to the left of original. This was confirmed by misalignment with the remains of the mounting flange on the driver side.

Now I am trying to mock the tank in place so as to line up my repair work and the filler is causing me problems. It seems to be wanting the tank to sit 40mm lower than stock. I’ve. confirmed these measurements on the panel van.

There is something different about this tank. Image
Tank from the van is on the left. They look pretty well identical viewed from the top. Both pipes are swept rearward about 30 mm at the cap end but the cap flanges are at quite different angles. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Re: Commercial fuel tank filler neck fit

Post by Errol62 »

First photo the tank from the van which I know to be original and correct. The plot thickens.Image
Profile view shows that the two necks are a bit different and explains why I was having trouble. The front pipe from the ute has a gentle curve, with the end of the neck straightening out, whereas the correct tank from the van has a significant bend at either end of the pipe and is otherwise straight.

I suspect this tank may have been from a wagon. The ute had an FE FC tailgate but I can’t imagine the earlier tank being any different in a commercial or wagon FE FC. Can anyone confirm my suspicion?

Meanwhile I am considering rectification surgery on this tank. If I’d known about this at the outset I would have considered fitting a bigger tank. A mate told me he has fitted a GT Cortina tank to his FB ute, of all things! Fits like factory apparently.
Cheers
Clay

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Put the tank from the van inImage
Fits perfectly.Image

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Is there any chance that the dodgy tank has been dropped whilst in storage? The filler necks are a big, long lever, and when the tanks accidently fall over, there is a lot of force if the filler neck strikes the ground. My wagon tank was knocked over, and it had enough force to bugger the lockable cap that was on the neck.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Discounted that theory Harv as the weak point where the neck enters the tank. The actual pipe is a different profile.

EK van on rotisserie
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Clay,

Could be a didn't fit right from factory and bent to suite the car it originally went in.

I got some NOS rear quarters once and I believe they were rejected and not used at the time of manufacture because the profiles were slightly out of alignment, especially around the lights.

Unfortunately we will never know what happened back then. Use the wagon tank and find another one later, should be easy as they are laying around everywhere !!!!!

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
59wagon
State: WA

Post by 59wagon »

Errol62 wrote: I suspect this tank may have been from a wagon. The ute had an FE FC tailgate but I can’t imagine the earlier tank being any different in a commercial or wagon FE FC. Can anyone confirm my suspicion?
Hi Clay,

Not sure if this is what you’re after, but here’s the page from the parts book

So here’s what I learnt today Image. FE/FC have different part numbers than FB/EK in the sedans.

FE/FC wagons, yoots and pannos have the same number as FB/EK yoots and pannos, but FB/EK wagons are different.

Cheers, John

59wagon
State: WA

Post by 59wagon »

So, as I think you’re suggesting, perhaps you have a FB/EK wagon tank?

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks John
Guess I could have done that.

So anyone want to swap??
Cheers
Clay