Front Fender query

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

59wagon
State: WA

Front Fender query

Post by 59wagon »

Hi All,

I’m hoping someone could have a look at their original FB front fenders and answer a question for me.
The rear tops of mine are cactus with a “quick” repair job obviously done in the past.

I bought the Rares replacement panels and have noticed that the bead that runs along the top of the fender from front to back on the replacement goes all the way to the rear of the panel whereas, on mine, the bead appears to taper off to nothing about 1 1/2” from the end. The pic’s aren’t great, but hopefully you can see what I’m on about

So, either the replacement isn’t quite correct or, the previous repairer didn’t quite apply and shape the bog correctly.

Also, out of interest and my ignorance, I thought FB & EK front fenders were interchangeable - are they? I see that FB & EK fender part numbers are different. I know they have different side badges and the front indicators are a different setup, but can they be mixed and matched?

Thanks,

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EK283
State: NSW

Re: Front Fender query

Post by EK283 »

Hi John,

The creases do vary but most do finish before the end and roughly 1 inch. The rares stuff normally needs massaging but getting the creases right is tricky.

The FB and EK guards are slightly different where the blinker attaches, extra tabs and holes to suit the different lens holders etc as you said but the pressings are the same.

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Thanks Greg :)
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hi John
FB and EK gaurds are also different where the end of the grills are near the blinkers/park lights; I suppose I would call them the grill bar separaters FB has 3 I think and EK has 4 or maybe 2 and 3 one of the gurus will be able to confirm this, so not really interchangeable unless you are changing grills.

Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

The differences are quite superficial John. If you can get a better guard from the other model do so, and just use the grille/indicator divider bit from the ruffy one off your car. Many have done this in the past. Dare I say people with less skill and resourcefulness than yourself.
Cheers
Clay

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Thanks guys. I asked about the differences mainly out of curiosity as I’ll be trying to repair what I’ve got rather than replacing them. But, if it all goes to crap, I may have to look for replacements.

Cheers,

John

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

FBImage
EKImage

EK van on rotisserie
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Thanks mate. Hard to tell from photos, but is it “just” a matter of swapping these two brackets over (and maybe drilling some holes in the right place)?

Cheers,

John

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

That’s all there is to it John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie