mag nuts

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

reddo
State: NOT ENTERED

mag nuts

Post by reddo »

Hi.. and ... G'day after a 12 months absence....

After selling the FB Panno I bought an EH Panno... yeah.,..yeah .. I know ... bloody trater :roll:

Was a mess when I bought it from Katoomba and have een slowly sorting it out... Not far off rego now and attention has turned to a set of 14 inch Dragway Indys I bought off a bloke at Casmden with an SLR torana... 7s on the back 6s up front .. 245s and 215s.
Never came with nuts

I have several sets of mag wheel nuts.. all with 17mm dia shanks around 20mm shank length .
The mags are around 30mm thick so I ordered a set of new nuts from "Niece" with 30mm shanks .....
Turns out the stud holes in the dragways are bigger than 17mm. more like 18mm.. or bigger
So to use a 17mm shank would be just plain dangerous ... having the weight of the rim sitting on the narrow little washers that come with the nuts,, about 3 mm thick.and not neatly on the nut shank on all five studs
So.. spent a bit of time at the auto spares joint today... we cant measure the exact hole size with verniers due to the rim only being 14 " dia !!!!
The nut flops around in the holes like a baseball bat in a bucket...well.. ya get the idea :crazy:

So we checked out the spares book and the book has 7/16 UNC mag nuts with a 25mm shank length .. in 18'3 mm and 18.6mm :?:
So.. my message is two fold..
Does anyone have dragway Indys ?? if so .. what is the diameter of the mag nut shank??

No:2 Take the time and check just how neat your mag nuts fit your mags... if you are running 30mm thick dragways you will need at least 25 shank mag nuts( 20mm shank only gives about 3 turns onto your standard early holden wheel stud ).. no where near enough to safely hold the wheel on. and... be sure that the nuts are a neat fit through the mag hole.otherwise the nuts will slowly work their way loose .. or .. shear off your wheel studs.

Regards
Reddo

Holden .. australian car for australian conditions.....partyin', drinkin' ,cruisin' and rootin'
DOLLER.

Re: mag nuts

Post by DOLLER. »

Hey Reddo
Ive found the same sort of prob with the Indys.
I ordered new shanked nuts of the net and on each wheel the fifth nut is slightly off centreish. I havent checked you but this also coulb be because the Indies might be HQ and the axles could be commo patten as its a borg warner diff that was shortened even though I asked the bloke to set it up to run HQ rims! :crazy:
Ill run the calipers over EVERYTHING and get back to you.
Cocko750

Post by Cocko750 »

Hey buddy I would try ringing drag way they would have the info and the nuts I would imagine maybe dearer but safety first hope you get it sorted will look cool
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Thought I’d continue on this old thread.

I’m having dramas trying to source the right nuts for some CSA “jelly beans” or Magnums I bought 2nd hand recently. These are the shank style nut with washer. The shank must be exactly the correct diameter which appears to be 11/16” or 17.5mm.

Measured my crusty old ones that came with wheels (not a full set). They vary from 17.3 to 17.6mm.

Bought a set from Supacheap which turned out to be 17.1mm. Back they went. These seem to be the most common shank diameter.

Had a look at Nice products catalog on line and couldn’t find anything in the correct diameter. Maybe I didn’t look hard enough.

Bought a set from eBay Lug Nut King but they are 17.3mm and a bit loose. Anyway the washers are too big.

I’ve got three sets of these rims and the hole sizes seem to vary slightly. The 17.6mm nuts I have fit two sets but the ones I want to put on the van are too tight.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I’m about ready to revert to steelies. At least the nut design is sensible, employing a taper rather than requiring an exact fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Hi Clay
Probably not the right solution but with the veriations you are probably better off reaming the mag to suit the lug nuts :eh: that way you ensure they are correct fit.

Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks Neil
I was considering this
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
oz_ek
State: VIC

Post by oz_ek »

I'll check these for size over the weekend.
P1050893.JPG
P1050893.JPG (214.55 KiB) Viewed 669 times
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Cheers Phil

Did some more measuring. Some of the wheels have smaller holes and the nuts I bought on eBay may work on these with the right washers. Lugnutking is sending me some different washers. He has been pretty good to deal with.

Spoke to Outlaw Speed Shop and they may have the correct nuts. The way I am going I will have spent more on the nuts than on the wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie