Ls1 into the ek

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

gakka
State: NOT ENTERED

Ls1 into the ek

Post by gakka »

just wondering about putting in a Ls1 in ,im thinking of using a new crs power rack front end but wondering if you have to change the starter motor to the left side and any other mods that i may have missed thanks fellas.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Re: Ls1 into the ek

Post by Devilrod »

I'd start by talking to an engineer first to make sure you can actually do it. As for the swap, can't help you there. Red 6 yes, ls no.... :mrgreen:
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I reckon there is a build thread on here, albeit with heavily modified chassis. Haven’t seen a post for a while. Try searching LS1 EK.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
CHOPPED
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by CHOPPED »

do your research on the crs front end
there are much better options ot there :thumbsup:
HEY IT WASNT ME
TAZ
State: TAS

Post by TAZ »

Errol62 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:39 pm I reckon there is a build thread on here, albeit with heavily modified chassis. Haven’t seen a post for a while. Try searching LS1 EK.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes that is me, am currently in W.A. at Broome as i am on a road trip until the end of July which is why i havenot done any posts.

Check my build thread for information. You can get a full kit from CRS but it is over 2K and i am too tight to spend that much when i can do the work myself.Currently my starter is on the drivers side and it appears i willbe able to leave it there.

Note that i am using a LM7 5.3L LS motor. They are physically the same size as a LS1 just smaller CC.

Cheers Simon
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Devilrod's advice is good - check with your engineer before getting too far into it. Their tolerance for various engines varies.
TAZ wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:45 pm Note that i am using a LM7 5.3L LS motor. They are physically the same size as a LS1 just smaller CC.
This is a quite clever way of getting an LS into an FB/EK and still meeting NCOP requirements. The 5.7L version of the LS usually offends an engineer. The original General Motors Holden 138ci (2262cc) straight six cylinder ("grey" motor) engine, when replaced with an LS V8, gets a lot more than a 20% power increase. This leads a lot of engineers to certify under the LA2 Code. The original (unmodified) tare mass of the vehicle can be estimated in various ways, though for my project I used 2490lb (1129.4kg). This is the curb weight for an EK 225 (Special Sedan) as published in the General Motors Holden Factory Workshop Manual, being the heaviest sedan version of the EK Holden model sold in Australia. The mass includes the largest engine available for the EK Holden model in Australia (the 138ci “grey” motor) but without optional accessories (towbar etc). Again, some engineers will allow a different weight, though most will accept the Workshop Manual values. From NCOP Table LA1, as the vehicle originally weighs more than 1100kg and is proposed to be naturally aspirated, the recommended maximum engine capacity is (1129.4 x 5.0 =) 5647cc. The 5.7L LS motor is a poofteenth too big. The 5.3L LS motor however would be acceptable. For my case, I went for a pre-LS 327, taken out 30-thou (5435cc, 4% smaller than the recommended maximum engine capacity noted above).

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.